Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lower End Kayaks (Not hobie or native etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower End Kayaks (Not hobie or native etc.)

I have been looking to get a new kayak and can't seem to settle on one. I have used hobie's in the past and loved them, but they are way out of my price range. I love the mirage drive but that adds a massive cost I don't need, I don't mind paddling. I got a catalog in the mail yesterday with an add for the Lifetime Teton, which is a nice looking kayak. Obviously it wont have the finishing touches that a hobie would have but it ticks all my boxes, ball mounts, rod holders, elevated seat. I have direct access to the water so I am not worried about weight. Has anyone used this particular model, or have any other kayaks to recommend (ballpark 350~) that I should look at? Chime in with any thoughts, thanks! (I fish the Severn).
    Last edited by CarsonNash; 04-01-2019, 10:12 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Take a look at the Vibe line. I have one and it was inexpensive and well built. Their packaging and shipping was excellent as well. These yaks have mounting pads for accessories and I feel are a good buy.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Pelican has a solid line of modestly priced kayaks. My first fishing yak, which I currently still use, is in the Pelican Angler series. It was $300 and only came with 2 flush rod holders, but I've added an anchor trolley, front mounted rod holders, a clamp on fishfinder, and I use bungees to strap a crate to the back, so it works and I fish the Severn often with it as long as wind conditions are solid. Pelican has upgraded their "base" models quite a bit since I got mine, and they now include some more good options like a cargo area in the back. It tracks well and is really stable, but I definitely avoid days with wind, as the combination of wind and pleasure boat waves can make a cheaper, smaller yak really vulnerable. As John From MD said, Vibe makes a really solid lineup as well. I'm actually looking closely at the Vibe Sea Ghost series for my next boat. Vibes seem to be solid yaks, and at a price point that's negotiable depending on what you want standard.
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

I can attest that Vibe kayaks are very solid, and their customer service is outstanding. They come in higher than your current price point, but in my opinion they are at least worth looking into.
        Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

My first yak was a 12' S.O.T. dihedral hull, MSRP was around $600 but I got the year-old model for nearly half-off.

Served me well, wish I still had it for the shallow snakehead fishing I prefer.

If you're going out in deep water or the Bay, spend the extra money on a yak that's going to keep you alive... Don't skimp on quality.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

As I upgraded from a 9'6" sit-in Pelican, I looked at the Vibe line, and was about ready to go for a SeaGhost. Then, I saw the Ascend line at BPS and was impressed at some of their features. A really good sale on a demo model landed me with a Moken 12.5 from FeelFree, and I absolutely love it three trips into ownership. It does not have the frame seat, and is a bit above your price range of choice, but well below the Hobies, and has handled any water I threw at it.
            Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

You might want to also consider the Field & Stream Eagle Talon
              https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...fsgltlnstkypsk

It's $449 but I have seen it go below $400 on sale.

Comment

Considering Dick's financial condition, it might not be wise to buy something that you may need warranty support for later on. They have been bleeding pretty profusely and I don't expect them to be around too much longer.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

That's because they turned their backs on the 2nd Amendment.
                  John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
                  Hobie Outback (Papaya)
                  Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Dicks got into trouble over their anti-gun stance that they took on last year. Which cost them big time in their pocketbook. So for this year They decided to double down, and NOT sell any guns OR ammunition. Which if I remember correctly from the article in the NRA mag, makes up about 30% of their business. I can tell you that I no longer shop there. Nor does most of my family and friends.

Also BP gives a 5-10% Discount to active duty military, veterans and first responders. Dicks does not.
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

There's a reason for "low end" pricing and usually that reason is quality regardless of which commodity you are seeking.

If your kayak fishing will be confined to quiet Severn tributaries for white perch a low end kayak will be sufficient. Note magothyman's recent post. I love his simple approach to fishing protected waters. But if you plan to the fish bigger waters of the Severn near Greenbury Point or between the bridges, you'll need a reliable boat with a strong hull of quality material that won't crack as it encounters the beach with a rush or doesn't puncture when it collides with riprap. You'll need a solidly constructed seat with a frame that won't collapse under your weight and material that won't rip. You'll need a boat with hardware that doesn't rust and stays fastened in hard use. It's those things on a kayak that look similar in appearance from high end to low end boats but perform much more reliably in higher end boats over time that matter.

So, look beyond price as much as you can. Stretch this purchase as much as you can. Otherwise a low end boat will either frustrate you with potentially poor performance causing you to leave the hobby prematurely. Or it will be an unnecessary expense on your way to the boat you should have purchased in the first place.

Good luck,
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I think back to getting into fishing in general and I would always look for the cheapest combos available. Now, owning multiple daiwa/penn products, that is not the case. I seems like in the case of a kayak it would be better to skip the buying low quality stuff and make a one time purchase of a good quality item. No matter what I do, I plan on avoiding dicks and trying to stick to local stores if I can. I will keep an eye out for a used Vibe or something of the sorts, until then I will keep saving up for a better quality product.
                        Annapolis
                        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          So, look beyond price as much as you can. Stretch this purchase as much as you can. Otherwise a low end boat will either frustrate you with potentially poor performance causing you to leave the hobby prematurely. Or it will be an unnecessary expense on your way to the boat you should have purchased in the first place.
                          This.

I went above what I should have spent mainly because I have a history of buying cheap to save money and then having to go back and spend even more money to buy what I should have purchased the first time around.
                          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I forget who said it first ( I heard it from Steve), but always buy your second kayak first. I was lucky enough to get my first kayak as a gift, and it really cemented the love of the sport in me, so I waited a few years, saved some money, and even just asked for strictly cash for my birthday from family, friends, etc. I then compiled that into buying my 2018 "demo" hobie at DPS. I went used, and the 2019s were announced about a month after I got my kayak, so I was a bit disappointed. I would've liked to have tried both models of outback out, but I think I still would've stayed with my 2018. It pays to do thorough research, and maybe even link up with members who have an extra kayak, and figure out if that style would suit your needs. I think DPS has demo days 2-3x per year, so you could always make the trip over there and try out a few different kayaks. Some local shops may do demo days as well, and it'd certainly be worth it to attend one.

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                              Considering Dick's financial condition, it might not be wise to buy something that you may need warranty support for later on. They have been bleeding pretty profusely and I don't expect them to be around too much longer.
                              I'd say with most and especially with lower priced kayaks you are pretty much on your own after purchase anyway. Seen plenty of stories of those that paid much more for kayaks that had some inherent problems and it seems most of the time the manufacturer will find a way to wiggle out of any warranty anyway. Replacing a handle a hole from wear and tear is going to be yours to do. Can't expect much warranty at such a rock bottom price and it's better to read and use reviews to access the durability and problems that may come to light. In the case of the Talon it gets very good reviews in general and I haven't seen any major or expensive inherent issues or problems come to light about the kayak.

Comment

Working...
                              X