Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one fisheries jurisdiction understands the memo on the striper decline..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one fisheries jurisdiction understands the memo on the striper decline..........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.538f6aca7390

Thank you for posting.

I especially enjoyed reader comments. So many opinions; so many looking at others as the cause; so few answers.

The "Washington Post" article is the second article I've seen in recent days citing new estimates that C&R mortality for stripers is nearly 50%.

The April "Fishing and Hunting Journal" has a centerfold two page article that explores the topic of declining stripers in depth. Indeed, it's why I started the "What if..." thread. That article mentioned C&R mortality estimates in 2017 were 48%, or 3.4 million stripers died after being tossed back into the water. These estimates are much higher than previously thought. I have no idea how the numbers originate. However, many of us have seen large numbers of floaters covering a particular area of water during our outings. Perhaps fisheries scientists saw them too and made extrapolations.

The C&R mortality metric used by catch management officials in the past was 9%. That's a very big difference from the new estimate.

Changes are surely coming. They have to.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

Like you , I would be interested in seeing the science/data behind that mortality rate conclusion.

I don't really keep trophy fish (mostly because I don't catch big ones!) but I still don't have an understanding of why someone would want to keep a fish that big. I think the data shows the slot limit has been a good thing over the years, right? But the trophy limit has to change if the science is good.

Steve
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
      X