X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter Sunday fishing anyone?

Anyone heading out tomorrow morning?
    This will be my first trip of 2019.
    I was just going to hit Mattawoman unless there’s something better going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Weather permitting I will be hitting some Severn creeks to try and find white perch. More or less a trip to try and adjust to my new kayak as opposed to catching fish, but I wouldn’t mind some fresh perch.

Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Gonna get out there myself. Maybe Burley Creek for some perch, then Whitehall Bay when the winds slacken, for stripers, later in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired
      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
        Weather permitting I will be hitting some Severn creeks to try and find white perch. More or less a trip to try and adjust to my new kayak as opposed to catching fish, but I wouldn’t mind some fresh perch.

Good luck finding perch in the Severn shallows this early. Traditionally the first perch show up about the second week in May. I too will make a preliminary search for them in the next few days, but don't really expect to find any quite yet. Hopefully a month from now, there will be plenty of perch to catch.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Carson, John,

Last year white perch were a week or two late in arriving to the Severn's shallows. I don't recall catching them routinely until the first week in June. I think that was because it was a very cool spring. This year our spring has been milder. The perch may be on time as John suggests or even early. I hope you guys find them. Please let us know if you do.

Good luck,
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark & John -
            No fish today. I only fished for about an hour and a half, spinner-baits along rock jettys and small shad darts on the bottom along ledges/Dropoffs. I agree on the early in the season part. Last year was later then usual for the perch to start biting, all though it was about this time last year I began to catch perch on grass shrimp off the various docks around me. We are already off to a better start then last year with warmer air temps and less rain. Also, as I write this, looking out my window I am seeing (what appears to be) some rather large striped bass busting in the 3-4 foot deep water about 30 feet from shore...
            Annapolis
            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
            Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Good luck finding perch in the Severn shallows this early. Traditionally the first perch show up about the second week in May. I too will make a preliminary search for them in the next few days, but don't really expect to find any quite yet. Hopefully a month from now, there will be plenty of perch to catch.
              I went out in Weems last Wednesday and saw absolutely nothing. I knew that was going to happen, but my buddy wanted to get out on the water. The only thing we hooked was the rod that got knocked overboard by a pylon

Comment

Saw a guy at the mouth of Mattawoman catching shad. So I put on a small kastmaster and ended up with big ol fight from a 14” channel cat. LOL.
                The water was pretty calm so I moved out to the Potomac for some striper action, but no luck.
                I moved back into the creek around high tide and landed a few perch over by the first wreck.

2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

John Rentch and I fished for perch in Weems and another Severn creek this morning. The water was high and about as clear as it gets other than in winter (>3 ft viz). I had no bites in the creeks and saw no evidence of fish there. I trolled from Weems to the other creek and caught a 15" striper and had a second hit along the way. Nothing earth shattering, but better than a skunk.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                  X