Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposed 200 foot carry at Beverly Triton Beach Park - Hot Deadline Thursday May 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
    -snip-

Also, one more thing. The $1 a year lease mentioned in the 1998 Baltimore Sun article? It's still in effect. Beverly Beach Community Association leases one third of the beach at Beverly Triton Beach Park for its exclusive use as a community swimming beach. The county health department tests the water quality for them.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1998-07-11-1998192071-story.html
    -snip-

If you look at Anne Arundel County Water Trail Map 11, featured in this week's Bay Weekly: http://bayweekly.com/articles/boating/article/paddles, you'll see the section of the beach in Beverly Triton Beach Park that is leased for $1 a year to the Beverly Beach Community Association for its exclusive use. It's 660 yards from the end of Grandview down to the south end of the park. If you look at an aerial map, there are 12 off-shore stone jetties in front of the part of the BTBP beach that is leased to the Beverly Beach Community Assocation. BTW, the county paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for those jetties about 15 years ago.

The leased section includes a parking lot right next to the beach.

FYI

Comment

Glad to see the deadline moved. Comments submitted
      -Justin

Comment

In my correspondence to the Department of Recreation and Parks, the County Executive and each Council Member, I cited the inherent unfairness of a community holding this property hostage at the expense of general public. I naively asked if the residents would be willing to pay increased tax assessments for their exclusive use of the land. I even questioned the motives of government officials who are appeasing the locals with watered down development plans that will ensure the property is underutilized -- a tremendous loss of recreational opportunities on land owned by the public at a prime waterfront site.

However, the $1 a year beach deal is the height of insult to us all. How disingenuous for peninsula residents to cite a host of reasons for deterring others from visiting these grounds (including the discovery of an arrowhead there, hoping to make it an archeological safe zone) when they have such an exclusive privilege with a parking amenity they seek to withhold from others. If this knowledge doesn't cause you to voice your opinion to officials, nothing will.

Please write. Let them know how you feel. It's public property. Demand that tax dollars be spent wisely on it, not to limit its use as present plans will do, but to provide the most enjoyment and easiest access for all.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X