Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What lures do you guys troll for Stripers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What lures do you guys troll for Stripers?

So I bought some larger x raps for Stripers but I've been seeing people post about smaller ones.. so if you guys can , post up what lures you use and when/what time of the year

Depends on the time of year. Spring it’s larger and shallower divers. Summer and fall I’ll get deeper diving jerkbaits, particularly in fall.

I used to do really well on white 4” shades on 3/4 oz jig heads but the Rapala and Yo-Zuri have been more effective the last few years.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Ever since Pat first helped me figure out kayak trolling, I've used jigheads with Z-man paddletails for trolling in all seasons. Usually, I use a 1/4oz and a 5/8oz or two 5/8oz jigheads (candycorn is my favorite color) and a Zman SwimmerZ in Opening Night color. They're durable as heck and seem to get plenty of bites. With one hook they also get through any snaggy material quite well. They're my go to.
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
        Ever since Pat first helped me figure out kayak trolling, I've used jigheads with Z-man paddletails for trolling in all seasons. Usually, I use a 1/4oz and a 5/8oz or two 5/8oz jigheads (candycorn is my favorite color) and a Zman SwimmerZ in Opening Night color. They're durable as heck and seem to get plenty of bites. With one hook they also get through any snaggy material quite well. They're my go to.
        I second this. Z-man paddletails killed it for me last year. Anywhere and anytime. I also used some cranks but the paddletails always got it done. More upfront cost then regular plastics, but they last 10x longer, and hold up to more fish. It is also fairly important to use the Zman heads w/ the plastics due to the type of material, the plastic has a hard time staying on regular jig heads. Don’t forget to store them separate from other plastics!!!
        Annapolis
        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Now you're saying two as in a tandem setup?
          What about shad size.

Comment

Zman work well but I prefer a softer plastic like Bass Asassians if blue fish aren’t around. They’re much easier to get on the hook properly, stay on better, and last surprisingly long. I generally have to trash a Zman not because it’s tail got damaged but because the insides just stop gripping the jig head and it slides down the shaft. I have not tried the Zman jig head so can’t comment if that improves longevity. In southern Maryland we also get Specks and red drum in decent numbers and they greatly prefer the softer plastic in my experience. I’ll take a little less life in my lure to expand the species that will hit it.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

If you are using zman’s then buy some of the locktite gel super glue in the blue bottle. One small drop against the base of the jighead and you’re all set!

as for trolling, really depends on the season but generally hard baits like sp’s or bombers, shads, rattle traps, bucktails with a trailer, or even poppers depending on the bite!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NattyBoh74 View Post
                Now you're saying two as in a tandem setup?
                What about shad size.
                I've never done a tandem, but I do troll two rods from the kayak, three if I'm feeling particularly bold haha

I use 6" shads, but there are many sizes and shapes to choose from. I'd recommend heading over to JigTheBay.com and picking up a few things from Matt. He's got his site zeroed in on a variety of baits that do well in local waters, and he ships really quickly.
                Matt

Comment

I've never done a tandem, but I do troll two rods from the kayak, three if I'm feeling particularly bold haha

I use 6" shads, but there are many sizes and shapes to choose from. I'd recommend heading over to JigTheBay.com and picking up a few things from Matt. He's got his site zeroed in on a variety of baits that do well in local waters, and he ships really quickly.
                  Do you also recommend Z-Man jig heads as another poster in this thread recommended, or do you use something different?

Edited to add follow-up question - what type of jig head is the candy corn color you mentioned? Thanks in advance! Not trying to hijack, but I have all the same trolling questions OP has.
                  Last edited by MonstBlitz; 05-01-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MonstBlitz View Post
                    Do you also recommend Z-Man jig heads as another poster in this thread recommended, or do you use something different?

Edited to add follow-up question - what type of jig head is the candy corn color you mentioned? Thanks in advance! Not trying to hijack, but I have all the same trolling questions OP has.
                    Coach makes the jigheads that I use- https://www.coachjigheads.com/ They are also sold on Jigthebay.com

I have never used the screwlock jighead for Zmans, but I have no doubt that those would work well. They work great when I've used screwlocks for largemouth fishing. I use regular jigheads, and use a trick I saw online, although I can't remember where. Because the Zmans are so durable, they can be stretched quite a bit. So I rig the Zman on the jighead like normal. Then, I use another hook to hook a tiny part of the Zman near the eyelet (where you eventually tie it on) and I pull that little slice of the Zman over the eyelet. Becuase they stretch and are so durable, that little loop of the swimbait will pull the entire swimbait tight onto the jighead and keep it there. Like I said, I definitely can't take credit for that, as someone else came up with it, but it has worked for me.
                    Matt

Comment

Coach makes the jigheads that I use- https://www.coachjigheads.com/ They are also sold on Jigthebay.com

I have never used the screwlock jighead for Zmans, but I have no doubt that those would work well. They work great when I've used screwlocks for largemouth fishing. I use regular jigheads, and use a trick I saw online, although I can't remember where. Because the Zmans are so durable, they can be stretched quite a bit. So I rig the Zman on the jighead like normal. Then, I use another hook to hook a tiny part of the Zman near the eyelet (where you eventually tie it on) and I pull that little slice of the Zman over the eyelet. Becuase they stretch and are so durable, that little loop of the swimbait will pull the entire swimbait tight onto the jighead and keep it there. Like I said, I definitely can't take credit for that, as someone else came up with it, but it has worked for me.
                      Thank you! Ordered from the site you recommended. Looks like a great one stop shop for a lot of the highly recommended gear I've read about on this site and in books I've been reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                        Zman work well but I prefer a softer plastic like Bass Asassians if blue fish aren’t around. They’re much easier to get on the hook properly, stay on better, and last surprisingly long. I generally have to trash a Zman not because it’s tail got damaged but because the insides just stop gripping the jig head and it slides down the shaft. I have not tried the Zman jig head so can’t comment if that improves longevity. In southern Maryland we also get Specks and red drum in decent numbers and they greatly prefer the softer plastic in my experience. I’ll take a little less life in my lure to expand the species that will hit it.

I agree with Big Mike. Zman plastics are quite durable and are a great choice when bluefish are around. In my opinion, they do not swim as naturally as some other brands. I use 12 Fathom plastics, primarily the Fat Sam mullet and Buzz Tail. This brand of lure is not available in any local stores, but can be ordered online. Both styles have a marvelous swimming action. If blues are really thick, I will begin using Zman plastics. I have caught over 30 stripers on the same Fat Sam mullet here in the Chesapeake, and over 15 speckled trout on the same Fat Sam mullet in Tampa Bay. They are durable for almost anything other than blues.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                          I agree with Big Mike. Zman plastics are quite durable and are a great choice when bluefish are around. In my opinion, they do not swim as naturally as some other brands. I use 12 Fathom plastics, primarily the Fat Sam mullet and Buzz Tail. This brand of lure is not available in any local stores, but can be ordered online. Both styles have a marvelous swimming action. If blues are really thick, I will begin using Zman plastics. I have caught over 30 stripers on the same Fat Sam mullet here in the Chesapeake, and over 15 speckled trout on the same Fat Sam mullet in Tampa Bay. They are durable for almost anything other than blues.
                          I’ve never heard of those, but I now intend to look them up. I would like a nice alternative to elaztech plastics to save on the storage hassle. Blues were far and few between last year, I figure it was a combo of the dam releases and rain then kept them south.
                          Annapolis
                          2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

Originally posted by MonstBlitz View Post

You definitely get more options when not buying direct from zman. As redfish said, gluing your plastics to jig heads works great. I do that with all my jigs. Just keep a bottle of superglue in the tackle bag. I bought the zman jigheads once and just stuck with them, but hard head baits makes the candy corn head I use with other plastics, jigthebay also had many nice options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Annapolis
                            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              I agree with Big Mike. Zman plastics are quite durable and are a great choice when bluefish are around. In my opinion, they do not swim as naturally as some other brands. I use 12 Fathom plastics,
                              This is great information, thanks John! I'll definitely be searching 12 Fathom and probably testing them out. Like CarsonNash said, I could use an alternative to the storage hassle of Zmans, and I'm always down to try new plastics. Thanks!
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X