White Perch are IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Perch are IN

It might have been hopeful thinking at the time, now a very good move on my part in retrospect. On Tuesday I decided to walk down to Spa Creek and see if the White Perch were up in the creek. Last year I didn't see any until late May, but also last year everything was about 3 weeks late. Casting a small lipless from the bridge down from the Truxton Park fields I hooked my first perch of the year. I moved along the creek and picked up a few more, eventually ending up at the boat launch. There I caught as many as I could before needing to walk home to start dinner. The next afternoon I had more time and had some fun picking them off with a small blade bait. I also put out a rod with a hi-lo rig baited with fishbites, but no takers. Most of the fish were in the 5-7 inch range, with a couple 8-9.

Next, I need to get out on the yak and get at some of the bigger ones out in the rivers. Summer is right around the corner!

Good news. My long-term records show the first shallow water perch typically arrive in the Severn creeks during the second week in May. Your report puts them right on schedule.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the nudge to get me out looking for perch. I fished in Weems Creek this afternoon and found a few. They still are scarce there. Hopefully we are seeing just the first wave of incoming perch.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
      X