No announcement yet.

Suggestions on where to fish tomorrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on where to fish tomorrow?

Hi Gathered Kayak Fishing Enthusiasts,

Tomorrow is one of the first times I can schedule a day on the water. Does anyone have a suggestion on where I should take my 13' Hobie Revo tomorrow and try to catch some fish? I am open to any suggestions where my pedal drive won't get beat up. I'm even considering taking a day trip to OC to practice for the Fish N Paddle tournament. Did I say I was considering driving in beach traffic for one days fishing. Yikes.

The only place I have had my kayak is in Bodkin creek where I managed to pick up a couple White Perch a few weeks ago. The fish were small and I had to find them in a back creek, but at least I didn't come home smelling like a skunk.

I am considering heading to Annapolis, Bodkin or the Kent Narrows area unless otherwise directed.

On another note, are there any Meet and Greets scheduled for use newbies?

Thanks,
    Eric

I do not have any great suggestions on where to launch. I do note that CCA Maryland is holding a light tackle tournament out of Kent Narrows tomorrow. The parking lot at that ramp gets quite crowded on most summer Saturdays. With the tournament tomorrow, it may not be the best place to launch. There are other Queen Anne County launches that should be less crowded.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Any place in the Bay or on the Severn will probably be crazy with boats. I suggest launching from Homeport Farms as it is out of the way. You can head out to the South River and duck back in if it gets busy.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I went to Downs Park on Saturday and got into Bodkin Creek around 11am. I fished from about 11:30 until 5:30 and caught 7 White Perch and one Yellow Perch. The weather was great but there was a fair amount of boat traffic. I found my way back into Wharf Creek where there wasn't much boat traffic. I did sneak out into the Bay and took a right towards the Bay Bridge. Even on a calm day the waves were a little intimidating. I was pretty stiff and tired by the time I got back to the launch. Looking forward to my next trip!

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Nice job describing your trip to Downs.

For a point of reference, it's 1.9 miles from the Locust Cove Launch in Downs Park to Bodkin Point where you turned the corner and saw the Bay Bridge. Undoubtedly as you returned you saw the Key Bridge from Bodkin Point straight ahead. That point is one of my favorite spots not only for the scenery but for the fish it produces in season.

But the other good thing you mentioned about the launch is that you found protected water from the boats (which indeed are numerous on weekends, not a factor at all on weekdays) in one of the creeks there. You can also find protection from the wind regardless of its direction because of the geographic orientation of the creeks. One or more of them will always provide leeside safety.

Congratulations on your catches.

I hope I can fish the area with you sometime.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X