Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite trailers on White Perch spinners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite trailers on White Perch spinners...

Using a white perch pounder Friday with 2 inch sassy Shad...caught one 10 inch perch before bluefish bit the sassy Shad into less than sassy...as Luck would have it, no more 2 inch shads on board Lady Luck...so what to do? Looking through my minimalist tackle...Finally settled on 3 inch white Gulp swimming mullet...bigger than I wanted but as long as I slowed the retrieve down it looked like it would work...it did...caught five more perch before the winds drove the SMOG crew and a couple of Snaggedliners off the water with gusting NE winds...so now I see I have three more 2 inch Sassy Shad bodies but after the Gulp, I think a 2 inch Gulp might work as good or maybe better...so question to all you Perch experts..what is your favorite trailer to use on Perch Pounder and in line spinners for perch?

IMG_0573.jpgIMG_0574.jpg
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-08-2019, 07:40 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

My home made spinner jigs are so "overdressed" that they do not require any trailer.

Way back when I used roundhead jigs with a clip on spinner, I used mostly 3" curly tailed Powerbait bodies in chartreuse or white.

Comment

A 2" Mr. Twister. No doubt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Jim McFalls
      MSG US Army Retired
      US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
      2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
      2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
      Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
      YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

For the 1/8 oz. jigs I pour. paint and tie, I like bucktail as a trailer:

A.jpg

I've tried various artificial materials (like craft fur) for the trailers but in my opinion the bucktail looks more lifelike in the water. It pulsates or "breathes" during the retrieve. Also, it's durable and will last for a lot of perch per spinner.

The simplest trailer is a 2 to 3 inch grub on a 1/8 oz. jig:

P1000101.JPG

I'm not partial to brand. The most popular is undoubtedly Mr. Twister. But I've done well with house brands from Bass Pro and Cabelas.

I'm not partial to color for either of the lure styles above. I've said here before I've yet to find a color that won't work. But you cannot go wrong with yellow or white if you're prospecting for perch. Once I've found the perch, they seem to be colorblind.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I’ve had good luck using the Berkley 2” & 3” ripple shads. The 3” baits still get the perch bite but often catch other species for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use 2 and 3 inch Mr twisters or Gulp. I use white twisters with a chartreuse round head and a clip on spinner. I use chartreuse colored Gulp but with a white head. I also use electric pumpkin perch poppers in 1/8 and 3/16 oz. If these don't get perch, they aren't there.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
            X