Any bad Outbacks out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any bad Outbacks out there?

Two weeks ago I bought my bride a Hobie Mirage Passport.
    I really like that the Mirage drive is so light.
    ...and after careful consideration, I have decided that I not longer wish to hassle with my 50lb deep cycle ballast.
    I’m selling my Ocean Kayak Torque so I can buy an Outback.
    Are there any particular years I should avoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I am a newbie to pedal kayaks. Wanted that clear before I said any more. From my research, 2015 was the year that the seat changed, 2015+ is better imo. Also 2019 hill shape is a bit wetter I've heard.
    -Justin

Comment

That is correct, 2015s and newer have the nicer seat. In 2017 they first started offering the drives with reverse, and in 2018 they improved the drives a bit and I believe those ARC180 drives are the current ones they include with the premium pedal kayaks like the outback, revo, and pro angler. I've heard the 2019 hulls are slightly more stable and slightly faster, but I've yet to see a video proving this is the case. I do know the 2019s come with a lot more features, like bungees for equipment, a bigger center hatch, dual steering, etc. The main complaints I've seen on the new boats are the rudder, and a wetter ride in heavy chop, though these might not actually be the case. I would say if you can get a 2015-2018 outback for substantially cheaper, maybe with some included equipment, go for it. If not, a 2019 would be a solid boat. Most shops sell off their demo boats from sep-nov, so you might want to call around and ask about that, you can save 300-500$.

Comment

2015-2018 Outbacks are the bomb...the addition of the Vantage seat in 2015 was the cherry on top of the hot fudge Sunday...great rough water boat, fast, stable, bullet-proof...love my 2016...not for sale...not a fan of the new Outback rudder system, but not a hater, either..love the new Outback on board storage and Hrail system...definitely a plus...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X