HOW needs Volunteers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW needs Volunteers

Hey guys there is a HOW event coming up (13 JUL) in Hanover, PA and they need some kayak guides. The link is below. They provide lunch and usually have coffee and donuts. Also you DO NOT need a PA fishing license for you are covered under the event. You will have to pay a $7 dollar launch fee for the day. BUT you are getting a free lunch. So come on out and help out your fellow American(s). Bonus, you get to fish for free.

https://heroesonthewater.org/chapters/maryland/
    2017 Hobie PA14

Damn... I really want to volunteer for one of these events, but that is the weekend my wife and I are going to the beach from Friday to Monday. Keep posting this stuff though Steve.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

If you go to their website, they have a calendar of all the dates and places coming up.
      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

I signed up. Coop said they are expecting about 70 participants so he can us all the help he can get. So if your schedule is clear PLEASE help.
        Harry

Comment

Got my launch permit and I’m thinking of heading up there early tomorrow morning on a scouting mission to see if I can find where the fish are for the event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve attended four HOW events. If you have never participated before, I thought you might like to know what’s expected of you from a volunteer’s perspective.

First, it’s very easy to sign up via the HOW website. By pre-registering, organizers will have your name on a roster when you arrive and you will be asked to sign publicity and injury waivers.

If you arrive early enough, and I recommend you do, you can be of great assistance unloading the kayaks from the HOW trailer and preparing them for participants. That means lining up the boats at the ramp and loading each with a paddle, PFD and fishing gear.

When the military participants arrive and launch, your job is to be their guide. Some may need paddling instruction. Some may need rigging and casting help. Some need no help at all. Your job is to observe and intervene where needed.

Yes, you can fish. In fact, a very important job for you is to find fish and to share those locations with participants. If you get into fish, invite participants to that spot. Show them where to cast.

Your job is also to be sociable. Most participants like to tell you where they’re from and what they intend to do after their service careers. Listening and responding in kind is very easy. You can do this on the water or during the lunch that’s served after the outing.

So, it’s easy to sign up; easy to participate. In short, it’s a relaxing and rewarding morning on the water with nice folks and a free lunch to boot.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You will have to pay a $7 dollar launch fee for the day. BUT you are getting a free lunch. So come on out and help out your fellow American(s). Bonus, you get to fish for free.

Regard to the launch fee. Is this strictly for the day or does it go towards the yearly sticker?

Comment

DoNp, I was just getting ready to post that HOW has “FREE” launch permits for the day. So that saves you $7 bucks. You could always donate the $7 bucks to HOW to help out the cause. You will need to register on the HOW website for the event. It’s through Eventbrite here’s the link, https://www.eventbrite.com/o/heroes-...ter-8043230233
                And a link for HOW Maryland Chapter event page, https://heroesonthewater.org/chapters/maryland/
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                  I signed up. Coop said they are expecting about 70 participants so he can us all the help he can get. So if your schedule is clear PLEASE help.
                  Harry
                  I’m signed up again as well Harry. See you there.

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Here’s a link that shows some fishable structure that may be useful in getting folks on fish tomorrow. The lake goes from 0 to 70 feet really fast but it looks like most of this structure is in about 10 feet of water. http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/group...r_20033479.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

How did the event go?

I was in a boat that morning and took a few pictures, attached is one of them. Sorry I couldn't help, I had a family obligation.

20190713_102609.jpg

Comment

It went GREAT!! The Army showed up late (typical) and brought tons of food. That’s one thing the Military does well, EAT. No one turtled, nor drowned. There was a Bass tournament going on, so some of them had an issue with all the kayaks. BUT, after an explanation of what we were doing they changed their attitude. Most of the families just wanted to kayak and take in the scenery, some wanted to fish. Like I said it was a good time by all.
                        2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Good to hear it went well. It sure looked like things were well organized.

Sorry about the bass tournament happening at the same ramp. Didn't see that coming given the fact there's about six other ramps

Comment

Working...
                          X