Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People still "too smart" to wear their PFD's

https://www.eyeonannapolis.net/2019/...-this-morning/

You can preach till you are blue in the face, some people just don't have the common sense to stay alive.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

In 1987 my wife and I were visiting friends in Florida. The husband was a student but did some part time bird censusing for an environmental organization. He was not a skilled boat operator nor did the boat have a working bilge pump or self-draining cockpit. He took us out with him on the ~18 ft open skiff while he counted birds. On the way back we crossed a large open body of water and the wind picked up. Each time we ran through a wave, a quart or so of spray came inside the boat. Eventually enough water accumulated in the back of the boat that the notched stern went under. After that the boat quickly filled with water and rolled upside down. All of the life jackets were trapped in a cooler on the boat that was now underwater. We were floating free in the water for 45 mins without life jackets until being rescued.

That taught me a very important lesson about PFDs. Now I wear one at all times, even on a 90 deg day. Early on I bought one that looked reasonably like an outdoor vest. It was comfortable to wear, and I still wear the same vest. The fabric is faded and the elastic on the waist is shot. I don't even think about wearing it now -- it is automatic from the moment I launch until I am back on land. I even take it with me on most of the charter trips I take.

The thing about PFDs is that you don't ever need them until you actually need them.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

As I inspect boats at Sandy Point, I see some of the damnedest places where people stow their PFDs. Under the anchor and chain in the anchor locker, buried under coolers in a closed, still packed in original packaging and stuffed in an overhead. I know that it is human nature for young folks to think they are invincible but too often they never learn that it just isn't true.
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

On the of the fact they were not wearing their PFD’s, it was just before that storm hit. Pretty sad!
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I don't go in the water without my pfd on.....Last Sunday on my way to work I stopped by Lapidum launch, two kayakers with 8' sun dolphins were preparing to launch, both without pfd's. The river was running at 70,000cfs, I politely mentioned that to them and it was really not safe for them to launch on the river and a better choice would be to launch at Perry Point Community Park... I was un-politely told "F" off an mind my own business.

Comment

You can't fix stupid.
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Gentlemen, someone lost their life. I know we all need to practice safety, but let’s show respect for someone’s passed family member.
              Native Titan Propel 12
              Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
              Mercury 6hp
              Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Yes Choc, we practice safety but the problem is we read these types of incidents annually because not enough is done to insure others do the same and sometimes when some do try it is met with indifference because there is no mandate for others to practice what we know and do. This is an open forum for members to discuss these tragedies, prevention and other things, sometimes it may come across as callous when in essence it is more out of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                  Yes Choc, we practice safety but the problem is we read these types of incidents annually because not enough is done to insure others do the same and sometimes when some do try it is met with indifference because there is no mandate for others to practice what we know and do. This is an open forum for members to discuss these tragedies, prevention and other things, sometimes it may come across as callous when in essence it is more out of concern.
                  I couldn't have said it better.
                  John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Stephanie was a close friend of a family member. They were hanging out hours before this happened. They were offered a ride home, but they chose to paddle. It is important to wear proper saftey gear, and do not attempt to paddle after drinking. That was also a factor in this incident. Truly a shame.
                    Annapolis
                    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by CHOC View Post
                      Gentlemen, someone lost their life. I know we all need to practice safety, but let’s show respect for someone’s passed family member.
                      I agree but I do think the "stupid" comment may have been directed at the other incident at Lapidum which was a quite different situation.

Even though I agree with all the comments about PFD safety I do feel the comments directed at any particular incident or person somewhat distasteful. The conversation can be had with straight up facts and statistics at any time while keeping personal incidents out of it. At the time of a tragedy it's just not the time and it's really not my place to tell others what I may or may not consider personally stupid. People can and will do as they please even to the point of breaking the law. Berating seldom changes such behavior beforehand and is next to useless after. These are tragedies that affect me very little personally and keeping my nose out of it might be the wisest choice especially when the emotions and horror faced by those closest to the victim are running high. Someone making misstep that could be considered "stupid or not and paying the ultimate price is not incompatible with me feeling feeling horrible about the outcome.

People do much that can be considered "stupid" by somebody. Many feel eating a cheeseburger to be stupid, I hope they can keep there comments to themselves at the service if I happen to die of a heart attack, it could be dangerous if the wife is in earshot. Even kayaking with all the proper equipment can and maybe should be considered stupid. Comments could well be made about someone abandoning their family for a stupid and selfish pursuit if some tragedy would happen that even having all the proper gear didn't stop.
                      Last edited by DonV; 07-06-2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Or, if you don't like the content, you can always use the delete key.
                        John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                        X