Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on buying used kayak

Hey everyone,

What are the things to look out for when buying a used kayak? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting back into kayak fishing after a long hiatus and currently considering an older hobie right now.

Also, is it normal to ask seller to test out a kayak in the water?

Thanks!

I would certainly do a water test before handing over the cash...do not know why anyone would object to you doing a water test...and it would demonstrate the kayaks performance for you...older Hobies are still higher dollar kayaks than a paddle kayak, but you do get a big discount off the price of a new one...the latest 360 drive PA-14 is listed at an astonishingly $4800...for that kinda cash you can get a decent used center console powerboat...but I digress...ramp rash is going to be on any used kayak, but look carefully at the depth and location of the scratches on the hull..look for cracking...look for leaks around scuppers...Hobies made before 2015 have the older, less comfortable seats that mounted inside on on the deck...the 2015 and later had the Vantage seats that sit up in a chassis that can be adjusted higher and for lumbar support...much improved comfort...and look at the accessories that come with the kayak...some things like anchor trolley, additional rod holders, electronic mounts, battery holders...add to the value if they were correctly installed. Good luck in your quest- hope these tips help...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

There are many things to look at when choosing a new or new-to-you kayak. To me the three biggest items (other than cost, which always in consideration) are weight of the kayak (key in how easy it is to move on land and with your vehicle), how comfortable the seat is (determines how long you are likely to stay on the water), and whether you personally feel safe in the seat (how tippy does it feel).

If you are looking for a used kayak, keep an open mind about the quality of fit and finish (scratches, dings, etc). Expect to pay more for a used kayak in pristine condition vs. one that is beat up. However, a beat-up kayak that is a good brand and model may be a better deal than a new-looking kayak that was made in a lower-quality manner.

Accessories are worth considering. If the buyer includes some combination of a paddle, PFD, FF/GPS, gear tracks, cart, anchor) that can sweeten a deal too.

Good luck in finding something to get you on the water. If you truly enjoy the sport, your next kayak is not likely to be your last kayak.

As a side note, Mark Bange and I teach a 4-hour class on kayak fishing at the Anne Arundel Community College. Our next scheduled class is Sept 28. We spend a lot of time talking about how to choose a kayak for kayak fishing. The class was not listed in the print catalog but is available on the AACC website.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks ronaultmtd! That's super helpful.

Comment

Thanks John! I'll check out the course and forward it along to friends.

Comment

Working...
          X