Piney Point M&G 7-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point M&G 7-20

Snaggedline showed up in force today, I think 17 people were fishing or crabbing, but I have trouble counting past 10 when I run out of fingers. Although it was oppressively hot there was a slight breeze that kept us from passing out.

Without a doubt the crab boys ruled the day. Looked like a couple bushels filled with large to jumbo jimmies, and in less than 4 hours of trotlining. The rest of us settled on a mix of undersized stripers, perch, a few flounder, and John Veil catching a cutlass fish. Ron launched at Jack’s, the only one, never got more than 200 yards from the launch and filled his cooler with jumbo perch, multiple 12’s. We did see positive signs today. Sea nettles were in the water indicating salinity is finally increasing and the baby flounder mean mom and dad won’t be far behind.

13 of us enjoyed lunch at Chief’s. More than one individual was introduced to the pleasure of a stuffed ham sandwich, although they got them on whole wheat which no self respecting Saint Mary’s resident would ever do, always white bread. The soft shells were delicious.

Thanks to all who made the long trek south. It was a fun day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

I posted photos of the Atlantic cutlassfish in a separate post in the Maryland forum. It was an enjoyable morning from meeting new folks, catching a new species, and having some mighty tasty lunch at Chief's.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good times with good company made me forget the heat -- until I got a whiff of the dumpster as I loaded my boat on my van. Holy cow was that foul. Remind me not to park there again on my next visit.

It was especially nice to have younger folks with us. I think we had each decade of life represented from the 3rd to 8th. How many activities can bring that range of ages together? Another checkmark for kayak angling as a wonderful pastime.

Here are photos I captured of a few of our participants:

P1030792.jpg

Above is John Rentch just after launching at 0530. We hung close to the ramp until it brightened up a bit and then crossed the creek to the sod banks.

P1030793 (2).jpg

That's Michael on the far side of the creek. He had hooked some perch with a spinner by the time I met him.

P1030800 (4).jpg

Above are Rachel and Steve, recent MD arrivals from HI. It was nice meeting you both on the water and at lunch. (Rachel -- You know Steve is not pedaling in the back, don't you?)

P1030804 (3).jpg

Snaggedline's newest expert crabber, Eric. It was his first time crabbing with his Revo and he did very well.

P1030817 (2).jpg

As I came in for the day, Gary was pulling his Outback from the water.

Then it was off to Chief's for a cool place to relax, good food and fun conversation.

A final word of thanks to Ron and Mike for leading this outing. Way to go!
      Last edited by Mark; 07-20-2019, 05:38 PM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This was a long trek south for those of us up near Baltimore, but this Annual M&G, and the Lowes Whart M&G, are IMO the two best attended of the year (Ft.Smallwood is a close 3rd, but I have bad memories launching there). The SMOG crew never disappoints! I think everyone caught some fish; I ended the day with 3 11"+ WP in the cooler, and 7 or 8 schoolie juvenile striper from directly under the bridge, all the way to the gas docks; I lost a large one coming back in after turning around, probably because I upped my pedal speed to make it to the lunch reservation.

Gorgeous morning launch, awesome day with pullage. The screen lit-up when I finally made the long trek to the gas docks (and didn't bring heavy tackle).

Definitely looking forward to trekking down there again in the near future.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
        X