Looking ahead and a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead and a question

Since our activity of interest here takes place outdoors, weather is a key factor in our go no go decisions. This year I have caught fish in my kayak during air temperatures of 35 degrees in winter and 100 in summer. In truth I wouldn’t have gone to the SMOG M&G had I not already committed because of the 3-digit temperature predicted. (My car thermometer registered 103 at one point on the drive home.) There's no mistaking it was hot.

I’m glad I went, of course. I enjoyed meeting SL members in person, the location was beautiful and the fish were cooperative. The only time I felt the effects of the temperature was when I was off the water before and after the fishing. It occurred to me that that’s the same scenario when I fish Eastern Shore ponds in winter. I’m never cold when I’m fishing but only when I'm out of the boat at the launch.

The ultimate comfort solution to both scenarios is my van’s climate control. The heater in winter and the AC in summer provide much needed relief after a long day on the water in temperature extremes. Convenience stores with cold or hot beverages are also helpful.

My preference leans toward cooler outings. I don’t mind the cold other than the fact that it may limit the species I can pursue from a kayak. My ideal times are spring and fall. Neither are too hot nor too cold and more fish species are usually active at those times than in the heat of summer or dead of winter.

Now I look forward to cooler temperatures, more comfortable outings and hungrier fish just as during winter I was looking forward to warmer weather. And isn’t that typical…always looking ahead. The trick as I learned Saturday is not to forego opportunities regardless of when they arise. Go when you can even if it’s not your preferred time of year to kayak fish. There are many days during the year when weather keeps us off the water. Of course, safety is foremost. I believe tit’s typically not our MD temperatures but wind that has a greater impact on our safety.

So, my question is, do you have a preference as to the time of year to kayak fish? If so, why?
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Mark,

Given that this is only me second season kayak fishing, I would have to say that I prefer (R)October based on last year. I haven't fished cold weather yet.

Steve
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I feel like October is good fishing EVERYWHERE.

The problem is I can't be in Louisianna, Florida, New England, OBX, all at the same time
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
      X