Crabbing Question / Razor Clams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crabbing Question / Razor Clams

How many Razor Clams are needed for a 600' trotline? My trotline has about 110 snoods. I found a local crabber that sells razor claims. He sells 1/4 bushel, 1/2 bushel and 1 bushel increments.

Thanks,
    Eric

You'd be better off buying the crabs.

You need 2 to 3 per snood bag ( you need bags with clams) unless you want to add weight to each bag. Clams send out a lot of scent so you only need snoods at every 10 feet. With that set up, you need a minimum of 180 clams.

I'm doing this from memory as I haven't crabbed in 20 years.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
      You'd be better off buying the crabs.

You need 2 to 3 per snood bag ( you need bags with clams) unless you want to add weight to each bag. Clams send out a lot of scent so you only need snoods at every 10 feet. With that set up, you need a minimum of 180 clams.

I'm doing this from memory as I haven't crabbed in 20 years.
      Thanks John. Why buy the crabs? 1/4 bushel of razor claims cost $20 or 1/2 for $35. I think the bags are .50 each and they last for a while. I'm seeing the first time out would cost between $80 and $95. The next times only $20 or $35. But if you take into account the gas, wear and tear on the car, early morning wake up... I'm doing it for the fun not to save money.

Thanks,
      Eric

Comment

Eric,

is there a rationale for the clams versus the chicken necks (just curious)? You did very well using the chicken necks last weekend!
        J

Comment

Clams and the bags seem to be alot of work. Am I right?

Comment

Crabbing is a lot of work period.
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I am going to try razor claims for a couple reasons.

First, I think the claims will last longer on my trotline. After 3 hours, most of my chicken necks were gone. I couldn't catch more crabs without rebaiting. I think the claims will last until I empty the bags.
              Secondly, claims are considered a more productive bait. I can't say the chicken necks lacked for attracting crabs but all the cool guys say use razor claims.

Last week I caught 3/4 bushel of crabs and the max I could caught was 1 bushel. Using razor clams would not have made a big difference last weekend.

It seems the clams do take a little more work than chicken necks with the standard clam bag configuration. I am going to try with the standard bag setup. If that proves to be a problem I'll ty the SnapBait closer for the clam bags. They are probably faster and easier to use than chicken necks.

Lastly, the problem most have with using razor clams is getting them. I thought I would have to travel to the Eastern Shore to get them resulting in a 3 hour round trip. I was lucky to find a crabber that sells them 5 miles from my house. So getting the razor clams isn't going to be a problem.

I'll give the razor clams a try. I will evaluate if they are harder to use along with any benefits and decide if I want to go that route in the future. I'll keep Snaggedline posted.

Thanks,
              Eric

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post

I'll give the razor clams a try. I will evaluate if they are harder to use along with any benefits and decide if I want to go that route in the future. I'll keep Snaggedline posted.

Thanks,
                Eric
                Check out this video from Martin (snaggedliner = moc). He goes through the entire process of rigging up the line the night before and crabbing the next day. They don't call him "Crab Whisperer" for nothing!
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Yes Moc is a master at kayak crab fishing..... Look for his youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post

First, I think the claims will last longer on my trotline. After 3 hours, most of my chicken necks were gone. I couldn't catch more crabs without rebaiting. I think the claims will last until I empty the bags.
                    Secondly, claims are considered a more productive bait. I can't say the chicken necks lacked for attracting crabs but all the cool guys say use razor claims.

Last week I caught 3/4 bushel of crabs and the max I could caught was 1 bushel. Using razor clams would not have made a big difference last weekend.

It seems the clams do take a little more work than chicken necks with the standard clam bag configuration. I am going to try with the standard bag setup. If that proves to be a problem I'll ty the SnapBait closer for the clam bags. They are probably faster and easier to use than chicken necks.

Lastly, the problem most have with using razor clams is getting them. I thought I would have to travel to the Eastern Shore to get them resulting in a 3 hour round trip. I was lucky to find a crabber that sells them 5 miles from my house. So getting the razor clams isn't going to be a problem.

Thanks,
                    Eric
                    Looking forward to your thoughts on chicken necks vs razor clams after your trials. My son wants me to get setup to run a 600’ trot line each. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Originally posted by jdindino View Post
                      Looking forward to your thoughts on chicken necks vs razor clams after your trials. My son wants me to get setup to run a 600’ trot line each. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Now that is where you separate the men from the boys for sure.
                      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Eric, sounds like you have a good resource handy for procuring the clams. I look forward to hearing how it works for you!
                        J

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                          Yes Moc is a master at kayak crab fishing..... Look for his youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner
                          Thanks...forgot to put the link in my post
                          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks for all the well wishes. If the crabs are on fire like they were last weekend, all should go well.

I have watched every video that MOC has produced. MOC is my Obi-Wan Kenobi of Kayak fishing/crabbing.

Thanks,
                            Eric

Comment

I'm going to try and take my son out this weekend, he's 23. It won't be with the full gung ho plan he wants to do (two 600' trot lines, 1 for each of us). More like pick up 10 open top traps so we each have 5, and more leisurely work them from 6:30-ish to 11:30-ish on Saturday while we fish a bit. I'll be using chicken necks for sure, as I'm not sure where to get razor clams here locally yet. Is Bay Country Crabbing Supply my best bet to pick up some pre-rigged open top collapsible traps today?
                              Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Working...
                              X