Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm launching at Home Port tomorrow morning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm launching at Home Port tomorrow morning.

I plan to get on the water at @7 (don't want to break any rules), and just fish the creek until it gets too hot.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Originally posted by john from md View Post
    I plan to get on the water at @7 (don't want to break any rules), and just fish the creek until it gets too hot.
    Beat the Heat, and report back with your findings!
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Sure will.
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Good luck, sorry can’t join you, maybe later this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I think God didn't want me to go fishing today.

Last night I checked the County website to insure I had the right lock combination. I didn't so I copied the new one. I put it in my flip phone and somehow got it wrong. Probably cause it was 1100 and I already took a Melatonin. Anyway, I couldn't get into the gate so I just went to Double T and had breakfast and went back home and made up a batch of round balls for my Flintlock.

With the wind and current at opposites, there probably wouldn't have been much current flow so I may not have missed out on much.

Since the truck is all loaded up, I'm going to leave it that way and try again tomorrow. God I love being retired!!!
          John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

I also like having the truck as 2nd vehicle. Yak rig stays ready to roll, all I have to do is gather my tackle for the respective trip, and i'm out the door!

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
              I also like having the truck as 2nd vehicle. Yak rig stays ready to roll, all I have to do is gather my tackle for the respective trip, and i'm out the door!
              I was telling Pat yesterday about how jealous I am about this type of setup! I live in Baltimore City for now and keep my yak in my back yard area. Leaving it on my car would pretty much guarantee it being stolen along with any gear inside. To leave in the morning, I've gotta take 4-5 trips to and from my car which is hopefully parked close to my house depending on whether there's an O's game or something similar taking up parking. The back gate and alleyway are too skinny to carry the yak out regularly, so I have to pin it against the fence, lift it vertically over my head standing it on its nose, put it around the fence, lower it down, then carry it by one handle through the alleyway to my car. I would give my right (and maybe left) pinky toe to be able to load up the night before.
              Matt
              Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
              2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
              10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Man, I feel for you.
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                  ...so I just went to Double T and had breakfast...
                  Wise choice.

I love that place.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
                    I was telling Pat yesterday about how jealous I am about this type of setup! I live in Baltimore City for now and keep my yak in my back yard area. Leaving it on my car would pretty much guarantee it being stolen along with any gear inside. To leave in the morning, I've gotta take 4-5 trips to and from my car which is hopefully parked close to my house depending on whether there's an O's game or something similar taking up parking. The back gate and alleyway are too skinny to carry the yak out regularly, so I have to pin it against the fence, lift it vertically over my head standing it on its nose, put it around the fence, lower it down, then carry it by one handle through the alleyway to my car. I would give my right (and maybe left) pinky toe to be able to load up the night before.
                    It would be nice if there were a way to find people that live near your favorite fishing location that would let you keep your kayak at their house for a small fee. Maybe a Kayak boatel.

Comment

Maybe rent a small storage locker to put your yak & gear in. Can have everything in one place. Pull up to the locker and load the truck and go. Just a thought
                      2016 Old Town Predator 13 Urban Camo

Comment

When Homeport officially opened there was some discussion of rehabbing a barn on the property as a kayak storage facility for those who wanted to keep their gear on site for a fee. I haven't heard any more about that proposal or even if the barn is still standing. I thought the idea had merit.

Those of us who have space and facilities at home to store our boats and gear are fortunate.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          When Homeport officially opened there was some discussion of rehabbing a barn on the property as a kayak storage facility for those who wanted to keep their gear on site for a fee. I haven't heard any more about that proposal or even if the barn is still standing. I thought the idea had merit.

Those of us who have space and facilities at home to store our boats and gear are fortunate.
                          I forgot about that! Great in theory, but liability and insurance probably nixxed the idea.

Comment

I have some good news about Homeport.

The Canton Kayak Club will have a docking station at Homeport Farm Park by next spring, and maybe by this fall if things go faster than I expect. The agreement just got signed, it's been in the works for a year. http://www.cantonkayakclub.com It hasn't yet been officially announced.

The Canton Kayak Club is a cooperative-model nonprofit club. You fill out your application and waiver, pay the fee, do the basic hour or so of training and then you get the combination for the locks at all the docking stations and can go kayaking without a reservation. Just turn up, unlock a kayak, unlock the dock box and get a PFD and paddle and go. Membership eliminates the heavy lifting of getting the kayaks out, on your car, off your car and to the water and back again.

The season generally goes from May 1 to October 31 - it depends on when the water temperature is 60 degrees or more.

If you wanted to join now you still have half the season left and several docking stations in the area. I like the one at Island View restaurant in Essex, near Rocky Point Park and across from Hart Miller Island, and the one at Hard Yacht Cafe by the railroad bridge on Bear Creek, just inside the Beltway.

I'm real pleased. I learned to kayak in Baltimore Harbor with the CKC and brought the idea of putting a CKC docking station in Homeport to Rec & Parks last year. I may rejoin myself so I can do quick paddles without driving my kayak around all day.

I think the docking station at Island View has some fishing kayaks.

Lisa

Comment

Great news Lisa! Thanks again for all the work that you do for the kayaking community.
                              John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                              X