How do you organize your baits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you organize your baits?

Please update the poll with your choice, feel free to add in additional information that the poll does not cover.
    By Lure Type
    59.09%
    By Species
    22.73%
    By Location
    13.64%
    By Color
    4.55%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
    Bass - 18.5''
    Striper - 22.5"
    Snakehead - 28"

Voted.

3600 or 3700 series waterproof plano's, sorted into three (or more) categories:

- Salt vs Fresh (Or more specifically, Striper/Perch vs LMB/SH)
    - Color (Plano of White/ChartWhite/Chart, Plano of Pink/Blue/Purple softplastics)
    - Type (Plano for topwater only, Plano for RaTLTtraps/SlowSinking, etc.)
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

This is an area where I am constantly evolving.

My workhorse box is the Plano 3640. I have eight that I use for inventory storage in my garage and for use on the water. I organize my supplies of lures and flies in those boxes mostly by type, although I also have large foam lined boxes in which to store my inventory of flies.

On the water, I may store lures in the 3640s by type and other times by outing or location/species. I never bring more than three boxes with me on the water and sometimes I bring only one box with small supply of a variety of lures suitable for the species and location I am fishing.

If I'm only going to be out for a few hours striper and perch fishing, I can get everything I need into one box which I carry in the BlackPak on my Revo. I rarely change lures on such outings because I carry up to 4 pre-loaded rods. It's much faster/easier to change rods than to change lures.

I also use Plano's smaller 3440 boxes on some outings, especially pond and creek (small water) outings when I'm in my Ultimate. I put flies into one, weedless hooks and soft plastics into another and small jigs and jig spinners into a third. I carry those three boxes in a small canvass bag that I tuck near my seat under my left leg. I stuff a few plastic packages of Grubs into the bag along with a leader wallet.

If you ask me this question in a month or next year I may describe another way to organize my lures and flies on the water. I carry far less tackle on outings than when I started in the hobby and I'm always seeking ways to economize on what I bring.

However, I've relied on the Plano 3640 and 3440 boxes for years. They're sturdy and waterproof as advertised and I like how you can vary the configurations of what they carry by the removable compartment spacers.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I usually carry one Plano 3700 and one 3640. In the 3700 (the deeper one) I keep everything for stripers, which includes 5 or 6 topwater lures, jerk baits, and some pre-rigged jig heads with soft plastics (BKDs, paddle tails, etc.) and extra jig heads. The 3640 has evolved into my perch/tidal panfish/bass box, so it has spinner baits, smaller crank baits, flukes, etc. There is not much cross-over between the two boxes, although the night before a trip I geek out and go through both boxes and always end up moving something around. Whichever box I am using on the kayak at the time is in front of me, and I keep the other one bungeed to the top of my crate for easy access if I need to switch target species. I also keep a couple of packs of other soft plastics in the mesh stowage pockets in my Revo.

And to Mark, I have to say that you (and others like John and Ron I think) have inspired me to carry less gear. I used to carry 3 boxes with me, and after a few trips last year, I realized I never opened the third one, and barely opened the second one.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

My square hatch drop in box holds two of the smaller (think they are the 3200 Plano boxes) waterproof boxes...depending on my target species, I organize by trip...I do not carry any crates or extra storage other than the two Plano lure boxes inside the square hatch...in my two side pockets I will carry a full bag of white and a full bag of chartreuse Gulp and a couple of bags of replacement paddle tail bodies...I carry four rods rigged for the day with the baits I will begin fishing with...I carry a stainless steel 40 oz. insulated water container in my right hand cup holder- perfect fit and two power bars as a snack to keep my blood sugar level stabilized for the duration of the trip...that is it..clean kayak, otherwise...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            My square hatch drop in box holds two of the smaller (think they are the 3200 Plano boxes) waterproof boxes...depending on my target species, I organize by trip...I do not carry any crates or extra storage other than the two Plano lure boxes inside the square hatch...in my two side pockets I will carry a full bag of white and a full bag of chartreuse Gulp and a couple of bags of replacement paddle tail bodies...I carry four rods rigged for the day with the baits I will begin fishing with...I carry a stainless steel 40 oz. insulated water container in my right hand cup holder- perfect fit and two power bars as a snack to keep my blood sugar level stabilized for the duration of the trip...that is it..clean kayak, otherwise...
            And Ron outfishes everyone, so there's your proof that all you need is 4 rigged rods and two plano boxes!
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Everything is organized and labeled into 3600 or 3700 size tackle trays. I grab and go with the trays I need based off what I'm targeting and throw them in my yak attack black pack or boat bag.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
              Jayce
              2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
              2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Err, organize? Throw fishing stuff in box, bait in zip lock bag.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                X