New to Frederick, MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Frederick, MD

Recently moved to Frederick to a smaller home with no storage so I had to sell and donate my kayaks. Now that I'm limited to wading or shore fishing, I wanted to get some recommendations on where to go around Frederick. Any help would be appreciated...
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Bruce,

You're less than 1/2 hour from Brunswick, MD. You can wade the Potomac for smallmouth bass there.

https://www.canaltrust.org/pyv/brunswick-boat-ramp/

You're even closer to portions of the Monacacy.

https://frederickcountymd.gov/Docume...--Guide?bidId=

Sorry you had to part with your kayaks.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Ditto to what Mark said.

Check on the USGS website real time stream flow data. The gauge at Point of Rocks needs to be under 1.75 feet to allow for safe wading upstream in the Brunswick area.
      It hasn't been that low for a while.

If you are into trout fishing, Hunting Creek and many other streams near Frederick should hold trout all year. Check the DNR website.

Comment

There's also some good wade fishing on the potomac towards the Appalachian trail area. The streams up towards 15 and thurmont have some small bookies and maybe a leftover rainbows in them. There are some mountain ponds up there too that hold lots blue gill and bass but really weedy as the summer progresses.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I will definitely check them out. I also saw on a map a lake at Black Hills/Seneca off of Rt. 270. Does anyone know if that has fishable shoreline?

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
            Thanks for the ideas. I will definitely check them out. I also saw on a map a lake at Black Hills/Seneca off of Rt. 270. Does anyone know if that has fishable shoreline?
            I've fished there but without much luck, but to be honest, I dont fish it enough to be familiar with it. I know others here are more familiar and as a result have had better luck. You can always count on some pullage from panfish (sunfish/bluegill/crappie) though.
            "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Black Hill Lake has a fair bit of fishable shoreline area, as does several other lakes in the Metro D.C. area: Clopper Lake and Lake Needwood to mention a few.
              I do not recommend Lake Frank, the shoreline and hike in and out require a fairly steep hike.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                I do not recommend Lake Frank, the shoreline and hike in and out require a fairly steep hike.
                The hike in and out of the Lake Frank parking area off of Avery Rd is a bear. There is another entry entry off of Trailway Dr that used to be car entry but closed back in the early 80's. You can park in the neighborhood there and its only a couple hundred yards to the lake. I've never had any issues with the neighbors there.

Untitled.jpg Untitled2.jpg
                "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Black hills has been good to me as far as shore fishing goes. All of these Bass are over 20" all in the same area. They are doing some construction around that area so its not as easy to jump from spot to spot but a great lake to shore fish from. I also recomend Seneca creek. They have a walking trail that goes around the lake. Not as many big fish at that lake but they can be had there. Tight lines, amd welcome! If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
                  Desert Camo- Moken 14
                  Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
                    Black hills has been good to me as far as shore fishing goes. All of these Bass are over 20" all in the same area. They are doing some construction around that area so its not as easy to jump from spot to spot but a great lake to shore fish from. I also recomend Seneca creek. They have a walking trail that goes around the lake. Not as many big fish at that lake but they can be had there. Tight lines, amd welcome! If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
                    Wow! Those are great looking fish. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely put this place on my list of places to fish. Thanks again.

Comment

Frederick is a great little town. Congrats on your move. Sorry to hear you have to downsize on your toys. The Potomac River is world class Smallmouth Bass fishery. I have a couple favorite places in the upper Potomac but I'll bet just about everywhere is equally as good.

My first place is at Harpers Ferry at the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah. There is parking in the historic part of town for the commuters and the Park. I park there and its a short walk to under the train bridge. I fish from there up to the rapids on the Potomac. I fish in the summer with a bathing suit and wading shoes. Mark Kovatch is a famous Potomac river guide and I have seen him teaching fly fishing classes there many times. You can use spinning or fly fishing gear.

The second spot is at the end of Bakerton Road (a little north of Harpers Ferry). Head down Bakerton road, go under a bridge and take a right on the River Road (Frederick Road). Follow it down stream to a parking lot. The parking lot is right next to an old dam. The fishing is good there but I usually walk down to the first island down stream and go in there. The whole area has fish. I think this area is known as the needles.

As with all wading. Be very careful and don't get in to water that is too fast. It is easy to slip and end up getting wet. I haven't had any scares but I am getting older and I am more cautious about the conditions I wade into. Never go in when the water is up! I always go with an inflatable PFD and a phone as my safety items.

I have fly fished and spin fished these areas. When I fly fish I use woley buggers, crystal buggers and top water flies. When I spin fish I use 4 inch stick baits with a split shot about a 12 inches from the bait. The idea is to fish the bait through the pools. There are always willing bass on the bottom of the pools!

Hope this helps,
                      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
                        Frederick is a great little town. Congrats on your move. Sorry to hear you have to downsize on your toys. The Potomac River is world class Smallmouth Bass fishery. I have a couple favorite places in the upper Potomac but I'll bet just about everywhere is equally as good.

My first place is at Harpers Ferry at the confluence of the Potomac and the Shenandoah. There is parking in the historic part of town for the commuters and the Park. I park there and its a short walk to under the train bridge. I fish from there up to the rapids on the Potomac. I fish in the summer with a bathing suit and wading shoes. Mark Kovatch is a famous Potomac river guide and I have seen him teaching fly fishing classes there many times. You can use spinning or fly fishing gear.

The second spot is at the end of Bakerton Road (a little north of Harpers Ferry). Head down Bakerton road, go under a bridge and take a right on the River Road (Frederick Road). Follow it down stream to a parking lot. The parking lot is right next to an old dam. The fishing is good there but I usually walk down to the first island down stream and go in there. The whole area has fish. I think this area is known as the needles.

As with all wading. Be very careful and don't get in to water that is too fast. It is easy to slip and end up getting wet. I haven't had any scares but I am getting older and I am more cautious about the conditions I wade into. Never go in when the water is up! I always go with an inflatable PFD and a phone as my safety items.

I have fly fished and spin fished these areas. When I fly fish I use woley buggers, crystal buggers and top water flies. When I spin fish I use 4 inch stick baits with a split shot about a 12 inches from the bait. The idea is to fish the bait through the pools. There are always willing bass on the bottom of the pools!

Hope this helps,
                        Eric
                        Eric,
                        Thanks for the recommendations. I am retired and have a lot of free time...so if you would like someone to fish with during one of your outings, I'd be happy to meet you at any of the spots you recommend.
                        Thanks again,
                        Bruce

Comment

Working...
                        X