Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to SoMD - Where can I find some big Cats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to SoMD - Where can I find some big Cats?

I moved to SoMD back in April and haven't gotten out as much as I would like, so I want to make the most of my time when I do. I'm from the Mattawoman Creek area and enjoy seeing the large number of kayak anglers there, but its mostly bass and snakehead. Catfish are more my speed. Bait the hook, toss and relax on the water and wait for a good fight. I've caught a bunch in Mattawoman but maybe only 1 was of any noteable size. Best Catfishing Ive done is around the DC area near Teddy Roosevelt Island. I'm open to suggestions on some fun places to find big catfish and wouldn't mind switching it up to something similar. And no worries, I catch and release so I wont be raiding your favorite spot. Thanks in advance!

Directly west of the Ft. Wash lighthouse - Use the navionics chart, there are some deep holes with some lunkers down there.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Marshall Hall...some real monsters hang out there...live bluegill on 8/0 circle hook is the ticket...chunks of cut Alwife on fishfinder rig works, too...and Benedict on the Pax River...recent trips have had some real rod benders there...cut alewife was the ticket...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for the help! Planning on getting out this weekend, not sure where yet. Always a bit cautious when heading out into larger bodies of water by myself. Going to try my luck with 7/0 circle hook and beef liver, found that its tougher than chicken liver, easier to handle, and very bloody. No setup yet for live bait. Got two 21" Hobie H-Bars coming in this week, hoping that cleans up my deck and some storage space for bigger cats. If I have time may rig my trolling motor back up to explore more ground.

BKC RA220 11.6' 'Yakstriker'

Comment

Crabs were eating my cut alewife...Caught a big male crab on my cut bait and decided to cut it into quarters and try crab..instant 15# Channel catfish...my personal best Channel catfish out of a kayak...big tough fish...ended up catching four catfish on that one blue crab...so in the Pax at Benedict crab is dynamite catfish bait...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
          X