Sharp hooks catch more fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp hooks catch more fish

Don't for get the little things and you will catch more fish. One little thing is to sharpen your hooks periodically. Unless you throw out your jig heads every few weeks, your hooks will need sharpening. I was recently reminded of this after getting several nice Perch and having them get off. One jig was so dull I couldn't easily push it through my fish towel.

The sad thing about this is that I have a hook sharpener on each of my bags.

Here is the type sharpener I use and it really works well.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Multi-.../dp/B000B8JDTU

Just an PSA for the snaggedline gang.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

John,

That's an excellent PSA. So easy to do yet I suspect it is a task often neglected.

If you're consistently missing fish, it's likely not due to short strikes, tentative bites or the wrong lure. It's because your hook is dull.

I carry a stone readily accessible on my PFD to sharpen my hooks. I consider it an essential fishing tool.

I sharpen my hooks before my first cast of the day and I check them periodically during an outing, especially if a fish comes unbuttoned. Further, you'd be surprised but some new hooks right out of the package are dull. Do the thumbnail test. You'll see. If it doesn't dig into your nail as you lightly slide the hook across it, it's dull. A file or stone will quickly remedy that.

Finally, learn how to sharpen a hook that's the easiest and most effective way for you. You'll know by your results. Some advise rubbing the file toward the hook point. Others say to rub the file away from the point. I do the former and it works well for me. There are videos online advocating each way. Whatever works for you is right.

It has been hard enough this year for me to catch fish. I want to increase the odds in my favor. A sharp hook is one step in that direction.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yep, subject of a few posts over the years...really, there is nothing in fishing you can overlook and consistently be successful...your line, the guides on your rod, the drag on your reel, the lures, the sharpness of the hooks, the maintenance of your reels and rods...nothing can be taken for granted...retie your leaders after several fish...did I mention knots? The guy that lands big, strong fish consistently on light tackle is doing somethings right...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
      X