Parking changes at Tucker St launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking changes at Tucker St launch

I have been using the Tucker St launch into Weems Creek since the 1990s. I always paid attention to the signs about where parking was and was not allowed. Until recently there has been one parking space available between the last house and the park bench. The signs allowed that space, but few knew about it. I parked there hundreds of times over more than 25 years.

This morning when I returned from an outing, the woman who lives in the last house called out to me and said that she had left a note on my windshield. She explained that the City of Annapolis had redone the signage, which now made my long-time parking space a 30-minute loading only space. It appears that 1 or 2 of the previous spaces are now off limits. There are still spaces farther up the hill or, if necessary, on the first cross street at the top of the hill.

She was kind enough to give me a polite notification rather than immediately calling the City authorities to ticket or tow me. I am passing along her note as a heads up to those who use that launch. The Tucker St residents have been remarkably tolerant to the kayak fishing community. I hope we can all be conscientious users of the launch facility. Don't leave any trash behind. Be as quiet as possible when arriving early in the morning.

SCAN0001.JPG
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks John. That was a nice note left by the resident. I've only been there a few times, but always parked up near the school.

Comment

That's great info to know. I typically use the angled parking spots at the top of the hill, but I'm happy to see that she first opted for a polite warning. I think too often these days the element of human compassion is taken out of simple things like this, and people are quick to want the other person punished. Case in point, my wife and I moved to a historic neighborhood in Baltimore City a couple years ago. Our front steps were moldy and brown, so I sanded them down and painted them blue. A couple days later I got notification from the city that someone in my neighborhood (supposedly my "community") had called the city and tattled on us for not using a "historically accurate" shade of blue. We were fined $500 with no warning at all.
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Wow that's very respectful of them (and fortunate for you) to leave a note on your car.

It's a shame the parking is dwindling, what's "public access" if there's limited access to parking... Shame to see AA Co with so much waterfront available, and very little 'public use'
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
        X