Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I should really get a flag for my kayak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should really get a flag for my kayak...

Just watched this video of a kayaker almost getting hit by a boat in California on youtube. Clip starts at the 7 minute mark https://youtu.be/CgoqGQopd88?t=422 .

I've been putting it off for a while and the last time I went to fish the OC inlet I kept thinking about how I really should increase my visibility for my safety. I've been pretty negligent with my safety in regards to not having a whistle or radio so this was a good wake up call for me, I rarely fish high traffic or speed areas but still. Stay safe out there guys.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

agreed. i have a flag, but need a pole to put it on. saw the same video and had the same thought... but then again it doesnt look like a flag would have mattered, those boaters weren't paying attention to anything. his situational awareness is what saved him. perhaps he could have started peddling a bit sooner but i'm not going to armchair QB him, the boaters were definitely in the wrong there. stay safe out there.
    -Justin

Comment

That's worst nightmare right there. I think it's Ron who always says "assume no one sees you". Scary stuff for that guy, and what a coward the way that guy continued onward...and with kids in the boat! Unreal.

I know Visi-Carbon flags are kind of the go-to, but if you want to have some fun with your flag and still have it be bright and highly visible, you should check out Citizen Pride's website for garden flags- https://citizenpride.com/collections/garden-flags

The flags are 12x18", and if you buy a pole in the form of some sort of stiff rod or plastic, just use super glue to join them. I've been using their MD Striper flag for years and it's still just as bright as the day I bought it. It's a locally-owned company and the owners, Joe and Eva, are very kind and work really hard. I'm wondering if there is enough interest if we could perhaps get them to design a kayak fishing flag. Could be pretty cool.

Regardless of what you get though, it's definitely the smart move IMO.
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

I have a Visi Carbon light pole and usually just fly a 14x12 American flag. I keep my light on in the daytime as it is pretty bright. I have been turtled but not run over, yet.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I have a flag I hook to one of the fishing poles behind me ( one I’m not using )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the visi-carbon with the ~ 4" x 14" orange flag.

Definitly thinking a larger flag is in the works...
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Anything beats nothing, but always assume they don’t see you and be prepared to move aggressively out of the way while blowing your whistle as loud and as long as you can if they appear to be on top of you..I start looking as soon as I hear their motor...like a car...be defensive driving your kayak...I’ll confess...I am not much of a kayaker...the only reason I own one is to fish...I’d get rid of mine in a heart beat if it didn’t greatly enhance my fishing...I am a fisherman first...the best fishing kayak is all I want a kayak for...yeah, it has lots of other intrinsic benefits, but...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

There was a long discussion about flags on this board a while back, and there seemed to be a consensus that a flag may or may not make a difference. What I do is keep a air/fog horn with me. I have used it when I see a boat approaching that looks as thought it might not see me. I don't care if I offend them or now, and I don't care if they get pissed off. My wife and I almost got ran over by a pontoon boat on the Northeast river earlier this year, and it was because the driver was looking backwards talking to the other people on his boat. I keep the air horn with me everywhere I go - it's muscle memory when I climb into my kayak I test it.

And that goes both ways...a couple of weeks ago I was changing rigs drifting in the channel and a sailboat under motor was putting toward the creek. He gave me a quick toot on the air horn from a safe distance, and I got out of the way quick. A nod and a thank you wave and we were both off to where we were going.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
                X