Top water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top water

My favorite fishing method is on us like the IRS! Top water magic! As the fall mass migrations kick in, the feeding frenzies favor big, noisy top-water lures...I have an old Tsunami four and 3/4 inch popper that the fish have taken all the paint off...it is deadly! I have many other top water lures...Rapala, Bomber, Strike King, etc. under the right conditions they work, but for some unknown reason the Old tsunami popper out fishes every top water lure in my box...even when there is no apparent top water action, I throw it, work it and boom! Hooked up! The lure looks like hell...beat up, nasty looking...so why? A new one exactly like it doesn’t...count my blessings, I guess..anyway, top water- shallows, structure, feeding schools, diving birds...current around obstructions all seem to be the locations for throwing a top water lure...now the $64 question...how do you work it? If it is the least bit choppy I work the hell out of it, big noisy chugs! If it is slick calm, less but still moving the lure from side to side in a walk-the-dog pattern...sometimes faster you work the lure the better...other times slow, pop, pop let it sit, then twitch it a time or two...the fish will let you know how they want it served! Tight lines- go catch a fish!
    IMG_0774.JPG
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    ...now the $64 question...how do you work it? If it is the least bit choppy I work the hell out of it, big noisy chugs! If it is slick calm, less but still moving the lure from side to side in a walk-the-dog pattern...sometimes faster you work the lure the better...other times slow, pop, pop let it sit, then twitch it a time or two...the fish will let you know how they want it served! Tight lines- go catch a fish!
    Ron -- What you have written is the key to topwater action. Further, it applies to tidal locations and freshwater. It applies to conventional tackle and warm water surface flies on the long rod.

When the fish are finicky in smooth surface conditions I use a slider fly. During the retrieve it slides gently under the surface and then pops back to the surface. The best commercial fly for that in my opinion is a Sneaky Pete by Gaines. However, you can create your own slider by reversing foam popper bodies on the hook. Here's an example of a slider I made with a reversed foam body:

Slider Green.jpg

See thumbnail for another style.

For conventional tackle, Zara Spooks are very good for calm water surface action. The fish will tell you what retrieve speed they prefer.

I also have a very old floating Rat-L-Trap. I don't know if they're made any more. But when I retrieve it slides under with little surface disturbance, does its wiggly dance and then pops back up.

So if you're having trouble attracting bites with topwater remember that there is often a relationship between the surface of the water you're fishing and the kind of action you should apply to the lure or fly you're using. Choppy water -- chug it hard. Smooth water -- look for something that creates less surface disturbance.
    Attached Files
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
    X