Severn Report (09 Sep 2019)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Report (09 Sep 2019)

I originally thought about perch fishing if the wind was as high from the NE as forecasted, but the forecast was way off, so I decided to take advantage of the opportunity and target Rockfish in other areas of the river that were more open. There were more 17-19" Rockfish than you could possibly catch, but they were concentrated in two areas that were both about the size of a football field. Bait was plentiful and so were the fish breaking on the surface from time to time. I caught a 10" perch, a limit of rocks (>7 were legal size), plus what felt like hundreds of schoolie size rocks, a bluefish, and two spanish mackerel (~20.5" and 22").

Both spanish mackerel were caught while trolling around 3-4 MPH in 15-20' of water with soft plastics and a 15 Lbs fluorocarbon leader. The Severn continues to surprise me.IMG_3536.jpg40C8E503-5636-4E83-8932-322C80AEC4E7.jpgIMG_3538.jpg

Edit: Sorry, this was supposed to be in MD thread. Can't figure out how to move it.
    Last edited by Jman; 09-10-2019, 06:26 PM.
    J

Quite the day, had a surprise form the Severn myself on Sunday. Trying a couple test casts of a new perch jig managed to hook a small flounder right of the beach at Jonas. Little guy about 13 inches maybe but definitely not something I suspected I'd see out of the Severn.

Comment

Good work guys. With the increasing salinity, we are seeing more fish showing up in the Severn.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Sounds like a fun day JMAN

Comment

Fantastic report. I really think there is a correlation as John said between salinity and our improving fishing.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I agree with the salinity. I think Dorian pushed up lots of saltwater with its brush by the mouth of the bay. We saw some very high tides after the hurricane came through. Good to see that there are some more fish around, I'll be heading out this weekend a lot.
            Annapolis
            2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
            Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Working...
            X