Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
    Is that a 10 footer or a 12 footer?

Ideally Chesapeake Bay fishing you would want a 12' LOA (or longer) for stability.
    I respectfully disagree with Michael's premise that you need a 12' kayak for fishing in the Chesapeake. At 6'4" and 250 lbs, I am no lightweight. I fish out of an 11' paddle powered Native Manta Ray 11 and a 10' pedal-drive Native Slayer Propel 10 at least 75 days a year At no time short of 2.5-ft waves, have I felt uncomfortable or unsafe in either of these boats. Having said that, not all kayaks are equally stable or can handle big seas the same way. I am comfortable in both of my boats and have made hundreds of trips in them.

I do agree that if all else is equal, a longer boat is likely to handle big seas better than a smaller boat. But hull shape and other features make a difference. In my case, I choose smaller kayak because I can take either of my kayaks, slide it fully inside my Toyota minivan, close the hatch, and drive away. I do not need to deal with rooftopping or strapping the kayak on a trailer or in a pickup bed. The ease of transportation outweighs any advantage of longer length for me.

My first kayak was an Ocean Kayak Drifter. It was wide and accommodated my large body. But is was uncomfortable to sit for more than an hour or so, and it was wet. I added a square boat throw cushion under the seat for padding and elevation. That helped somewhat, but I still suffered butt fatigue. But that kayak got me on the water and helped my learn about kayak fishing. As others have suggested, use your Ocean Kayak to gain familiarity with the sport. If you really enjoy it, you are likely to upgrade at some point.

Good luck and enjoy fishing.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I second what John said. I fished out of a wilderness systems recreational 12' sit-in for two years, so as it stands you are better off then I was! Using what you have will not only save you money, but it will give you a better idea of what you want to look for in a kayak when you are ready to buy a new one. In my instance I was thrilled to have built in rod holders and a good seat on my new kayak. Tight lines.
      Annapolis
      2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
      Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Working...
      X