Fall -- A Welcome Change of Seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall -- A Welcome Change of Seasons

Fall 2019 officially begins on Monday, 23 September at 3:50 a.m. I likely will not be awake to welcome the season but I will be glad to see it come.

This spring and summer have been difficult for me to kayak fish due to family concerns and quite honestly the heat. I’ve been a Climate Change skeptic, believing that temperature cycles have been common throughout our planet’s history and long before carbon emissions were pervasive. But this summer has nudged me closer to the thought that something is indeed amiss. Even on days in July and August when I was free of obligations, I declined opportunities to kayak fish, mainly due to the heat.

With upper 90s and triple digit temperatures behind us for the year (I hope), I plan to kayak fish more often than I have in recent months. Catch reports have been increasing steadily and close to home too. We’re still not at the prodigious SMOG levels here in the mid-Bay but the Severn, Patapsco and South Rivers are fishing better. My favorite Eastern Shore ponds will light up shortly.

So, we’re headed toward the nicest months of the year to fish and I look forward to them. My own 2019 reports have been infrequent here for the reasons cited. But I will do better in the coming months. I encourage others and all to continue reporting here too.

Snaggedline has been a great resource for the kayak angling community. Let’s keep it that way.

Special thanks to all who have shared what, when, where and how even during a memorably and miserably hot summer.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Fall is my favorite time of the year to fish..cool mornings where the water is warmer than the air...you don’t sweat powering your kayak out of the launch area to the fishing spot...and the fish migration concentrates fish in feeding pods...find pods of bait, you find predators...top water lures get blown out of the water in violent strikes...and when your rod bends, you never know what fish has taken your lures...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

FALL IS HERE - yeah... tell that to my sun-burned face and arms from an all-day snek excursion yesterday
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

You’ll be ok now Michael. It was still summer yesterday.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
        X