Winds- which direction moderate wind can fetch rough waters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winds- which direction moderate wind can fetch rough waters

The length and direction of wind is often more important than the actual velocity of the wind. A mild 7 mph south wind coming from Virginia across the bay to Point Lookout against an outgoing tide equals a washing machine chop that is very uncomfortable and potentially dangerous...any stiff wind is going to get my attention, but I have fished in 20 gusting to 32 mph west wind with Bill and caught my limit of Speckled Trout...only in one location...so fishing out of a kayak (or small skiff) is more dependent on the fetch than the velocity. Knowing your home waters, knowing how the tides are affected by wind is critical to choosing your launch in marginal conditions...time on the water. There are clues you can use by studying NOAA topography charts. Large land mass blocks wind, especially if the land is elevated close to the shore...Trees help knock down the effects of wind on water. Even in strong winds, fishing on the Lee side protected by land and trees can give you enough protection to make it worthwhile provided the waters have fish holding structural features; not much use fishing a shallow mud flat...grassbeds, sod banks, downed trees, boat docks and rock jetties are the ticket...sheltered coves are places I look for to get out of the wind...in moderate winds in sheltered coves fish the windward shore...fish often are ambushing minnows and bait fish pushed by the wind. And sometimes it just isn’t even worth considering going fishing with certain winds. That is when I have a hot cup of coffee or tea on my back deck and watch the wildlife...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron - This is good information for those getting into the sport. Even in strong winds, there can be opportunities to fish in pockets of a water body that are somewhat sheltered. Several years ago, a nor'easter hit this area in early October. I wanted to fish around Annapolis, but could not deal with the high winds, blowing rain, and big waves in the main stem of the Severn. I found some sheltered areas in the back end of a Severn creek that were chock full of bait and stripers. While less than half a mile away toward the creek mouth, the water was almost impassable for a kayak, but where I was offered a mild 6" chop and produced over 25 stripers in 3 hours of light tackle trolling.

I think the storm had kept the bait pushed back into the rear of the creek. The stripers hung out there for the all-you-can-eat meal. That experience taught me to look in those upper-creek locations during the early fall. They still produce.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great information Ron. Especially if you are not water / Boat oriented. It great to fish with you and Big Mike, to point out bad wind directions and "Fetch" to me. Then I understand yes it's low winds, but it has a Long time to build up waves from the direction the winds are Blowing. Great Info

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12
      2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Windfinder and Google Earth and/or Google Maps are excellent tools to assess the conditions you'll encounter on the water. Add an understanding of fetch to the mix, and there's really little excuse for getting caught in unsafe water.

This photo somewhat exemplifies the point:

P1040142 (2).jpg

In it I am heading east in the Patapsco to where it enters the Chesapeake -- Bodkin Point. The dark line on the horizon in the water in front of me is not a far off land mass. It's waves in the Chesapeake. The wind was strong from the south creating excessive waves due to fetch in a long unprotected expanse of water. However, I was completed shielded due to the Patapsco shoreline to my right (south).

The good news is that the turbulence at the point, created by the wind and the current, set up a feeding zone. I sat safely behind landmass to my right and tossed a paddletail into the waves. I had a good day catching schoolies that were on a feeding frenzy.

P1040152.jpg

Channel cats were also on the point:

P1040150 (1).jpg

But the main message here is that you can predict conditions with accurate forecast data and a knowledge of fetch and the terrain. It worked out as predicted for me that day.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Yesterday morning, the NW winds were howling down the Severn setting up whitecaps and significant waves. I was able to fish in three tidal creeks that were sheltered by tall shorelines. I did have some wet moments moving upstream between creeks, but I hung in there. Coming back was a whole lot faster, with the wind pushing me along.

This morning the Severn winds were high again. I tucked in a sheltered tidal pond and was able to fish without getting blown around too much.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

In spite of my advice that there are always somewhere that is fishable...this wind direction and velocity made sitting on my back deck watching the young wild turkey brood drinking a cup of hot tea good enough for me this weekend...of course, having a very successful Tuesday fishing trip this week helped a lot...looking at the October forecast is depressing...16 gusting to 20(+) from October 8-11th...not a great wind forecast for getting out to take advantage of the fall migration...severely limits your launch sites to very sheltered locations...
                Last edited by ronaultmtd; 10-07-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

2 years ago I had a very busy spring and was not able to go fishing for a couple months. I had a free weekend and my wife and I decided to go to Delaware. I was determined to take my kayak out and fish the inner wall even though they were predicting strong winds. I got to the launch and the waves were not large even though the wind was blowing strongly. I went out to the wall and fished for a couple of hours in an area protected from the wind. I didn't catch much and decided to head back in. After leaving the protection of the wall the waves were much larger. The tide was now running against the wind. Fortunately I didn't have too far to go and my pro angler handled the large waves.

Comment

Been eight days...still blowing too strong from the wrong direction for me...maybe Saturday or next week...

Comment

Working...
                    X