Spinning vs. Conventional rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning vs. Conventional rod

I am in the market for a new rod, I think I wanna get something geared towards light tackle jigging, but I dunno. A couple of rods that I have been eyeing are a carrot stix the Abu Garcia Vendetta. But one thing I don't get is the lure rating differences. Why do the conventional rods lure ratings seem to go higher than the spinning equivalent?

The vendetta is just a 1/4 oz difference but the carrot stix difference is 1.5 ounces! I am just wondering what the reason for this disparity between the rods.

Thanks,
    MYT
    Last edited by mytmouse; 09-28-2011, 10:59 AM.

Huh?

Comment

The difference is in materials, taper and wall thickness of the blank. Recently, with conventional casting rods, there has been a big leap in available line weight usage. Some of the Shimano casting rods have a very wide range of line weight usage. Some of the rods having a 50-60 lb class line weight and look like rods of 17-20 lb just a few years ago. Much of this has to do with epoxy resins and how the materials are laid out. Casting rod blanks also tend to be more parabolic, spreading the stress out over more of the length of the blank. Spinning blanks tend to be a bit more fast action, with alot of the bend at the end of the blank. Some blank makers are also now building in more radial support to handle the stronger fibers and resins. This enhances the strength over the length of the rod.

You need to also keep in mind that is the use of a conventional rod and reel package, to handle a more heavy line. Spinning tends to be a light line application, generally speaking. I know there are some different applications. This has to do with lines and the way the line comes off the reel. Much of the change in rod blank technology has to do with an ability to handle braided line. Rods and reels now are able to be much lighter, so in turn the strength has to be enhanced, mostly by materials and the way they are used.

Hope this kind of helps.
      Last edited by DOGFISH; 09-28-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dogfish! I was just wondering... The conventionals seem like they would foot the bill but I would hate to put a heavy round conventional on such a light rod... seems like it would throw off the balance... I dunno...lol!

Comment

Some of the conventional reels now-a-days are very light. Of course it is a different way of casting. It takes a little practice. I like the Calcutta TEs for round reels and the Curado for an actual casting reel. There are many on the market in varying sizes.

Comment

Are you fishing the light line this Friday? I may have something for you... (start the jokes!). I got it in a trade with that guy in sc I thought I was going to get the revolution from. It's an all star rod that I'm not using. However, if you want a a new rod the carrot stix rod is ridiculously sensitive.
            Used to fish more.

Comment

Yeah its for this weekend... It's not that I "need" it... Lol. I might take you up on it Mike... I like the carrot stix. But I'm afraid I'll break it! Lol.

Comment

Oh ..... OK .... now I get it ... I think.

The difference in line classification in 1 is only 1/4 oz in rod weight and 1.5 oz in the other.

Dogfish is right in the materials. THey very in weight usually by the classification of the materials ........ graphite can be a different RX. THe rod can also be a blend of materials like the Ugly stick and each manufacturer has their own classification standards and they greatly vary among the manufacturer. Some are built to be light and some are built to be tough.

Also it depends on the action, and the power. Until recently, most blanks were not specified as spinning or casting. They were classified as line wt, lure wt, tip and butt sz, power and action. You built spinning or casting on the same blank.

Oh and the All Star blanks are nice ........ little heavier than some but built very sensitive and tough .........

Comment

Mytmouse- i use the Captain Blair Wiggins Flats Blue rods from Wright and McGill- they are extremely light weight and handle a wide weight of lures and lines- I use the Revo and Curado reels on mine- I have a matched pair of rods and love them- they are very sensitive and tough as nails- for what you get they are reasonably priced, too
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X