Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats up with the supper high tide lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats up with the supper high tide lately?

The last few weeks on the pax, high tide has been about 1-2' higher than typical,, why is that?
    Captian of the plastic Navy
    1 - Mad River Canoes
    1- Tarpon 120
    1- Redfish 10
    1- Coosa HD
    2- Cuda 12
    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

It has to do with the moon phase coming to full and the east wind caused by tropical storm Melissa keeping the bay from draining. As long as the wind stays like it is, the bay fills every high tide but can't empty. They closed the sail boat show today at 3:30 and I don't know if it will open tomorrow. I saw pictures of the whole dock area in ANP under about knee deep water.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I was fishing in Eastern bay this afternoon in my center console boat. The water, even at the low tide time (according to the charts) was higher than a normal high tide. I was able to fish in some areas that I could never get to before. After a week of windy days, today's calm seas and pleasant temperature were a real treat.

Harlan, his son, and I caught more than 50 stripers while casting light lures. The launch at Shipping Creek was underwater when we launched at 7:30 am (3.5 hours after "high" tide, IMG_1356.jpg 20191012_073717.jpg

and even more so at 1:30 when we returned (3 hours before the next high). 20191012_132456.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We had some crazy high tides on the Severn as well. I was able to paddle my SUP board down the main road. Here is a picture of the road 3 hours before dead high. If you look closely you can see a common water snake swimming across the road.
        Annapolis
        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Working...
        X