Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cradle system

Fellow yak fishermen,

I am looking for a cradle system that will work with my Thule Aerobars on my 2007 Corolla. Currently, I load my 2018 Revo 13 by lifting it off the ground, swinging it upside down over my head, then sliding it onto the crossbars. For the past couple of years, that really hasn't been a problem, but as I close in on 60 (horribly close actually), I am looking for a better solution, since I don't want to jack up my back continuing in this manner. I've been checking out the Thule Dockglide system, which looks pretty efficient and it hold up to 75 lbs. Do any of you use that system on a sedan or similar vehicle? Or might you have a better suggestion? I have a Hullavator for my RAV4, but would have to get longer crossbars in order to get that system.

Thanks, and catch 'em up!
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Hi Jim,
    I also have a Hobie Revo 13 and have passed the "60" mark you have referenced, so understand your issues!! I also have a Native Ultimate 12' I use for smaller ponds. My vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner, so the elevation problems are more severe than most other vehicles. I use two systems for hauling the kayaks on my roof:

If I'm only carrying one kayak (which is most of the time) I use the Thule Dockglide system (actually I use its predecessor, but it's virtually the same system) and I like it a lot. I also utilize the Yakima Showboat loader. To load, I extend the Yakima Showboat system to load the kayak from the rear of the 4Runner (it protects the airfoil which is expensive to replace if damaged). I lift the front end of the kayak up to the Showboat, and then slide it forward (standing on a stool--elevation issues with the 4Runner) onto the dockglide system. Works very well.

If I'm carrying two kayaks, then I load the first as described above and then I utilize my Malone Telos system. This is a system that utilizes two components: a J style kayak rack mounted on a roof rack of the vehicle, and a "telos" system ratcheting bar that connects on the top end to the roof mounted J cradle and then drops down the side of the vehicle to some kayak cradles. You mount the kayak into the cradles at waist height and then ratchet the kayak up the bars one end at a until it is up a the J cradles and you can easily push it in. Basically it handles the vertical lift for you. It's generally similar in concept to the Hullavator, but takes a different approach. Here's a link to it:

https://maloneautoracks.com/Telos-XL...e-MPG3511.html

Good Luck!

Gary
    Gary G

13' Hobie Revolution

Comment

We have Yakima Hully Rollers on a Versa and the Thule Glidedock on an Outback and both systems work great. Both are easy to use and take less effort than throwing the kayak into J-Bars. With the Versa, the crossbars are kinda close together because of the size of the car, so when I load my 13' Trident on it I usually have to do bow and stern lines for added tie-down. But on the Outback or with my wife's sit-in Necky on either car, the bow and stern tie downs aren't needed.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Gary G View Post
        Hi Jim,
        I also have a Hobie Revo 13 and have passed the "60" mark you have referenced, so understand your issues!! I also have a Native Ultimate 12' I use for smaller ponds. My vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner, so the elevation problems are more severe than most other vehicles. I use two systems for hauling the kayaks on my roof:

If I'm only carrying one kayak (which is most of the time) I use the Thule Dockglide system (actually I use its predecessor, but it's virtually the same system) and I like it a lot. I also utilize the Yakima Showboat loader. To load, I extend the Yakima Showboat system to load the kayak from the rear of the 4Runner (it protects the airfoil which is expensive to replace if damaged). I lift the front end of the kayak up to the Showboat, and then slide it forward (standing on a stool--elevation issues with the 4Runner) onto the dockglide system. Works very well.

If I'm carrying two kayaks, then I load the first as described above and then I utilize my Malone Telos system. This is a system that utilizes two components: a J style kayak rack mounted on a roof rack of the vehicle, and a "telos" system ratcheting bar that connects on the top end to the roof mounted J cradle and then drops down the side of the vehicle to some kayak cradles. You mount the kayak into the cradles at waist height and then ratchet the kayak up the bars one end at a until it is up a the J cradles and you can easily push it in. Basically it handles the vertical lift for you. It's generally similar in concept to the Hullavator, but takes a different approach. Here's a link to it:

https://maloneautoracks.com/Telos-XL...e-MPG3511.html

Good Luck!

Gary
        Thanks Gary! This is great info.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
        Jim McFalls
        MSG US Army Retired

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          We have Yakima Hully Rollers on a Versa and the Thule Glidedock on an Outback and both systems work great. Both are easy to use and take less effort than throwing the kayak into J-Bars. With the Versa, the crossbars are kinda close together because of the size of the car, so when I load my 13' Trident on it I usually have to do bow and stern lines for added tie-down. But on the Outback or with my wife's sit-in Necky on either car, the bow and stern tie downs aren't needed.
          Bob! Awesome. Thanks for this info!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
          Jim McFalls
          MSG US Army Retired

Comment

Working...