No announcement yet.

Why Post on Snaggedline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you Bignose. I use to be an avid Tidlefish member in the past also, but the unnecessary negative comments that had no place on that forum reduce my enjoyment of the site. Then I found Snaggedline, and I enjoyed the forum experience again. I made a lot of got friends, and fishing buddies on this site. My wife was so amazed on how many good people that I met, that she would joke with me and call Snaggedline "FishHarmony.com" ... LOL
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

This is a topic where I can probably contribute to a few points since I fall into a few of the demographics and habits described by the original poster.

First, I used to be far more involved on Snaggedline than I am now. These days I mostly lurk for kayak rigging tips. What's interesting is that I've never had a poor experience on the Snaggedline forum, but did have a poor experience with the administrator of the Snaggedline Facebook group. The details don't matter, but I thought it was interesting that Snaggedline would exist in two places, and I'd suggest the Facebook group is probably cannibalizing some of the users who might otherwise post on the web board. These days there are dozens of kayak fishing Facebook groups, but I'm not on Facebook any longer, and perhaps that's why I like to come to the website. All said, I think most people are going to visit one site or the other, and everything being equal they'll visit the more convenient site (i.e., Facebook).

Second, the folks on this site tend to focus their efforts on striper, tog, and other saltwater varieties. As much as I love fishing in the Chesapeake, I'm two hours away from the nearest launch, so most of my fishing tends to be freshwater. It's no fault of Snaggedline, but there's just less of a community here for bass, catfish, crappie, and panfish.

Last, but certainly not least, Snaggedline was certainly a catalyst for popularizing kayak fishing which has exploded over the past few years, for better and worse. The upside is that the kayaks and fishing equipment is phenomenally better than what was available when I started over a decade ago. The downside is that the community of close-knit fishers sharing hard earned lessons and strategies has given way to corporate interests, including vendors and their subsidiaries. For example, when Hobie released their reversible Mirage Drives a few years ago there were some problems with the handles which would snap off, and a lot of customers were voicing their displeasure on the Hobie Facebook page. Part-time Youtube personality (and full-time paid shill) Robert Fields) showed up to vigorously defend Hobie. He was defending those broken Mirage Drives like his livelihood depended on it, and was terribly disrespectful to the customers. There's a group of people like myself who aren't interested in the competitive aspect of fishing, and who get turned off by personalities hawking themselves or their sponsors fishing gear. Of course, I'm mindful that many people *are* motivated by that type of sport, and I'd suggest maybe that's where the growth has been over the past few years. That is to say, Snaggedline isn't the flashy, gimmicky media portal that Youtube and Facebook have become. I'm okay with that--and I'm sure others are as well--but that's where the attention is going.

Just my two cents.
      Last edited by Huntrava; 10-31-2019, 02:09 PM.
      I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      Garmin Echomap 93sv
      RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I don't post much - but I've noticed the decline in activity and I really attribute it to Facebook. Early on I was glued to SL because I was just getting into kayak fishing and I loved it but was in information overload. After fishing the bay for 2 years or so I realized that I really prefer fresh water fishing; more specifically bass fishing any water, river fishing for smallies (love the upper potomac in the summer), and snakehead fishing because it tastes better than rockfish (yeah I said it!!!LOL) and is unregulated. I rarely post on SL because there's not a ton of regular posts involving my speed of fishing. I troll SL because I enjoy fishing and would still go out on the bay from time to time if a M&G lined up with my family schedule (none really have in the last 3+ years... kids!)

In my opinion, I think Facebook (and Twitter I guess) has become the benchmark for social media. It may be a personal thing (because I despise Tapatalk) but dedicated forums are nowhere near as convenient as FB. With 2 young kids it's easy to find 2-5 mins here and there to check FB for any updates, but to sitdown at a computer and get on SL I feel like I have to dedicate some legitimate time to it and time is a hot comodity for me. I agree 150% that the groups are more ADHD than a dedicated forum. The instant gratification with liking a post and the ability to quick reply without thinking or composing any rational thought makes large FB Groups difficult. The biggest thing I appreciate about SL is that the core posters are literate and considerate - which isn't necessarily common on FB depending on the FB Group.

I wish we could pick up the "core group" of posters here on SL and jump to a closed Group on FB and keep it locked down (which is near impossible).
        - Justin
        2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
        2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

I agree with a lot of what has been said. I haven't posted in a month or so because I haven't caught much lately. I only recently joined facebook and have posted a couple pictures on there. I was accused of photo shopping, lying about what day it was and mishandling fish, so probably not going to post many more. That would never happen on SL. I will try to post more and also make some meet and greets next year.

Comment

Facebook can be brutal with all the anger in our country...not focused on fellowship and natural resources...SL is pretty unique and civil...how bout them Nationals! World Series champs!
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Great discussion guys. I thoroughly enjoy the detailed photo reports from the long time members.
              My posts are down this year due to a medical problem that made my casting arm unable to cast. I’m mended up now, but couldn’t really paddle or fish June-September.

Last year my fishing reports were down due to all the rain.

Seems like fishing and reproduction is poor for both stripers and smallmouth bass in Maryland. So that doesn’t help.

Tom

Comment

I've definitely slowed down posting here, and it's really a result of having a fishing page on FB. I talk to the same folks (and more) I did here for the most part, and I can keep all my videos, photos, and sell my books in one place, which is very convenient. Also, I "own it," which basically means I can create whatever type of page and feel that I want there. I've focused a lot on fisheries management and the issues facing striped bass lately. Other times the focus is elsewhere, but it's just a little more convenient and organized than a message board for what I'm doing.

I've always loved SL and pop by regularly. I love the detailed posts by Mark and others. Sorry, I don't add a whole lot these days, but I couldn't resist this thread :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Very thoughtful discussion in this thread, on SL in general. I've been moving for the last month and that has limited my time both on the water and posting here. I even had to wave off on a planned OBX outing late last month. Thanks to all the posters here. SL is indeed an oasis of calm, cool, collected fishing wisdom and insight.
                  Tight lines
                  Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
                  Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
                  Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
                  Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I am probably in a very small minority as I have zero social media accounts so I find SL to be invaluable for increasing my kayak fishing knowledge.

I wish I had more fishing reports to post about than I currently do, but I'm always reading everyone's posts on all forums. What I've learned from SL and the meet and greets has been the difference between losing interest in a hobby/pastime and being passionate about kayak fishing and trying to get out on the water every chance I get. I can not thank the many regular posters here who've helped me thoroughly enjoy fishing from my kayak. Of course the negative is that I want to buy and keep several kayaks, while my wife is somewhat frowning upon that. :-)
                    Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

I know my posts have been down as well for a combination of reasons. I've only taken my kayak out on 1 salt trip with pretty dismal results in NJ this summer and most of my fresh water action on the potomac has been slim pickings as well. I just didn't have time this year to go to lowes wharf or feel the chance at hit and miss fishing in Annapolis was worth the drive. This forum was serving as a fishing barometer on how hot or not the rock bass fishing is.
                      One thing I like about SL is the ability to send out open invitations along with updates about HOW, which might not work as well in facebook. I've only sent out 2 open invites but both times we had a great time. Maybe next year I will get to do that more.
                      PigPen - Mt Airy
                      Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
                        I am probably in a very small minority as I have zero social media accounts so I find SL to be invaluable for increasing my kayak fishing knowledge.
                        You and me both. Snagged is the only forum I'm an active member of. I've yet to go down the road of joining facebook, instagram, etc. Although I do have to use Facebook to see some of the local B&T reports because they don't use their own websites much anymore. But I can get what I need without having to signup.

As far as the topic of discussion, I do miss the diversity of people and topics that used to be more common on here.
                        Brian

Comment

Facebook and other instant gratification social media websites might take away some of the casual Snaggedline traffic, but that's exactly the appeal of a forum over social media is that this is not casual. All of the forums I frequent are far more informational than what social media provides. I don't see the traditional forum going by the wayside.

That being said, I don't live in the area any longer so no reason to post reports from NC, or keep up on what's biting locally in MD, but I do check in occasionally. This is by far the best kayak fishing forum I've found and hope it can continue to sustain itself. It will take some new blood to stay afloat though.
                          2015 Hobie Outback
                          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I would like to add that one of the main reasons I post my fishing trip reports on here is the following:
                            - I use snaggedline as my fishing log. I document my trips on here so I can go back and see what I caught, where, when, and with what techniques. It is neat seeing the different locations, species, and techniques used. Also educational to see what time of year I have fished and how the trips have gone.

Looks like I started 24 threads in 2019 and 22 threads in 2018.
                            Last edited by DanMarino; 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Hello, all! I regrettably admit that I am one of those who spent much of my early summer on snaggedline, complete with reports, pictures, and desperate attempts to meet up on the water. My falling away has less to do with the site and more to do with life. In the past 2 months I have had the kayak on the water once. At the start of those months I got a new position as a chaplain at a Christian Mission in York, PA, and only have Mondays and Thursdays off, which cut into fishing time considerably. Yes, it was frustrating at times that the vast majority of snaggedliners are southern bay folks, and it was difficult to impossible to arrange meetings up here at the northernmost tip. But when it comes down to it, I just got lazy, and with the schedule I'm on, didn't come to the site to see the fun everyone else was having. I hope to make a grand return once the season turns, but I can't promise anything, since I may even move further north, further away from the easy fishing spots. Either way, I was a big fan of the site.
                              Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

Adam,

Congratulations on your new assignment and thank you for your post. I hope you do make a grand return. Your area has nice lakes -- check out the one at Gifford Pinchot State Park -- and of course you have the Susquehanna. Let us know what’s happening on the waters north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

To all who have commented on this thread – thank you. I feel more encouraged after reading your replies that this forum will remain an excellent source of kayak fishing information. With your help it will continue provide advice on all things about the hobby and fishing reports with enough essential details to make them informative as well as entertaining.
                                Mark
                                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X