End of season for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of season for me

I’ve been watching the water temperatures begin their inevitable cooling to a point that I no longer feel comfortable on the water. I’m a big guy and they don’t make dry suits with a 21” neck gasket and there is no way I’d ever want to go overboard wearing waders, I don’t care how tight the belt is (and yes I’ve seen folks demo doing it, just not something I’m comfortable with).

Ron and I had a last hurrah this morning in choppy conditions with mediocre results. While the water still felt OK it was mid 50’s and with the cold spell coming will be 40’s before you know it. Couple that with the cooler air temps and bad things can happen quickly.

So as in seasons past it’s time for me to switch to fishing local ponds from shore and trying to bum rides on power boats. I’ll live vicariously through the folks who don’t mind squeezing their bodies into a toothpaste tube and moving like a claymation character.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Mike,

Thanks for your many reports throughout the season.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Enjoy your local ponds Mike.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Sorry I missed our last outing this morning with SMOG. I have a few more days, I may try to get into that dry-suit, but that Neck Gasket feels like Jake-The-Snake is putting a sleeper hold on me

Yak67
        2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
        2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

The grand wazoo is in hibernation slumber until Spring 2020
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Mike-I'll keep an eye out for some open spots on power boats for you. Enjoy the ponds in the meanwhile. Tight lines.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Early morning breeze should have told us...SSE brisk...worst possible for St. Mary’s County...even though we still launched in “sporting” conditions...the ramp was slick and bumpy with waves...not bad once you got out of the ramp area...I had a 16 inch fish in minutes breaking the skunk thirty minutes before sun rise...the tidal current was slowing but still incoming, with the wind it built swells...our fishing area was shrunk dramatically due to weather...the fish were scattered...picking up one every now and then...16-17 inch fish. As the sun came up so did the SSE wind...it never laid down and then it started white capping...washing machine chop, we decided not to be stupid and called it a day...With the Striper fishery in trouble, and cold weather coming, I may join my friend Mike and put Lady Luck up for the year...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I loved all of the Southern MD fishing reports. I only had time to get down there three times and fished with Ron only once. I wanted to do it more often, but I ended up chasing the blue crabs more this summer. Thanks for all of the reports and stay safe....
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

At least you know your limitations. Good luck with the ponds and here's to an early spring for ya so you can get back out sooner than later!
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    I’ve been watching the water temperatures begin their inevitable cooling to a point that I no longer feel comfortable on the water. I’m a big guy and they don’t make dry suits with a 21” neck gasket and there is no way I’d ever want to go overboard wearing waders, I don’t care how tight the belt is (and yes I’ve seen folks demo doing it, just not something I’m comfortable with).
                    Yes, There are drysuits made comfortably for bigger guys.... I know this one is.... It ships from England but it is the most comfortable drysuit I have ever owned.

https://www.gul.com/kayak/mens/drysu...-drysuit-26390

Comment

It isn't the cold water so much for me..I have used the breathable waders and a dry top for years without any problems...it is more about the Striped Bass...I have practiced C&R all year for Striped Bass, not a single fish has come home with me...and during the warmer waters, I have deliberately only targeted White Perch (which I think is one of the best table fish we catch) and not even fished with lures that I normally use for Stripers, Speckled Trout and Redfish...so for me it is about the fish we target...time to put Lady Luck up until spring catfish season...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                        Yes, There are drysuits made comfortably for bigger guys.... I know this one is.... It ships from England but it is the most comfortable drysuit I have ever owned.

https://www.gul.com/kayak/mens/drysu...-drysuit-26390
                        Thanks for the input. I did look at website and says only ships to U.K. and Eire and the size guide won’t launch. I appreciate the suggestion but for me I just prefer to not have the hassle and don’t mind the mental break from fishing constantly. Going back to shore fishing for the winter takes me back to my beginnings when I’d dunk bait for bullheads and catch 12” bass thinking I’d landed a lunker. It’s a much different experience and in 45 minutes I can get my fix in without the commitment of a kayak trip. For those who go year round, I’ll be reading and hoping much success for you.
                        Mike
                        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                          Thanks for the input. I did look at website and says only ships to U.K. and Eire
                          Yes on their site it doesn't... For others, I've owned a few drysuits in my day for surfing etc. for the price and comfort I really enjoy this one... If anyone is interested I bought it from this company last year....When purchasing these do not run small so pay attention to the fit guide.
                          https://www.coastwatersports.com/gul...SABEgLN_fD_BwE

Comment

It is the end of the season so me. I did not fish as much as I wanted to, because I opted for chasing the blue crabs. Crabbing started off slow and ended with a bang, with limits of crabs on every trip late in the year. I was fishing in my waders and dry top yesterday catching and releasing, but only caught fish up to 17 inches. The water was 51 degrees and the air was about the same and dropping. That was the last trip for me for 2019. For me it is time that is not on my side, due to the holidays, preparations, and end of the year deadlines at work. There is not enough free time to fit fishing in. So the Mach Mobile will be put into its winter home for the winter months. Like some of you, if I have an itch, it will be fishing from shore, like chasing yellow perch and catfish from shore in the new year. At least I got to fish once with some of you this year on the board.
                            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                            2016 Hobie Outback LE
                            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Living in an area with cold weather in the winter does present challenges for kayak fishermen. Some guys choose to take the winter months off and focus on other activities. Others may modify their kayak fishing patterns to focus on freshwater ponds and streams where you are usually close to shore. Still others relocate their fishing activities to points farther south. I have been fortunate to make multiple trips each winter for the past few years to different Florida destinations and continue my kayak fishing passion there.

Finally, there are opportunities to wet a line from the shore or from piers. This limits the angler's access, but still allows some fishing time. I have a few spots near home where a road crosses over a stream. I can park and fish from the bridge or the stream bank. Some days I get skunked, but usually I can catch a fish or two. I also look forward to the late winter/early spring runs of migratory fish that move into the upper reaches of tidally influenced streams. Last spring, I caught white perch, yellow perch, hickory shad, and river herring during the spring runs by bank fishing in the Choptank and Patuxent Rivers. The Susquehanna and Potomac Rivers offer fishing access for these species too, but in those cases, the rivers are much larger, and typically there are more anglers around.
                              John Veil
                              Annapolis
                              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                              X