Kayak Review -- Native Ultimate FX Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Review -- Native Ultimate FX Pro

I have written on Snaggedline often about how much I enjoy fishing from my Native Ultimate 12 kayak. It’s a great boat for quiet tidal creeks and Eastern Shore ponds.

I’ve also mentioned here that even though I own a Hobie Revo 13, which is an excellent open water kayak, there are times when I would like to paddle in the Patapsco, Severn, Eastern Bay, etc. I don’t feel completely at ease in such locations with my Ultimate 12.

I’ve been looking for another paddle boat in the 12-foot range that will meet my open water criteria: sea worthy, excellent tracking with a relatively narrow beam for speed, yet lightweight so that it’s easily lifted and transported on land.

I researched a number of SOT paddle boats from the major makers. But inescapably, regardless of brand, their double hulls increase weight with most being over 70 pounds, some topping 90. Additionally, most have beams well over 30 inches which not only add weight, but make them less efficient to paddle and difficult to pivot – at least in comparison to my Ultimate.

My friend and fishing buddy, John Rentch, recently purchased a Native Ultimate FX Pro. Essentially, it’s an Ultimate 12’s rich cousin with more bells and whistles. Its hull has the familiar lines of the original Ultimate which I’ve always found esthetically pleasing but more important, its sharp bow and stern make it a speedy boat for a fishing kayak.

John let me paddle his FX Pro and I was immediately impressed with its comfort, tracking and speed. Also, the FX Pro has some features which enhance its seaworthiness.

Before I get to them, I have to admit that I recently purchased an FX Pro of my own. So what follows is my evaluation of the boat. To do that I will compare it to my Ultimate 12, which I have kept and will continue to use personally and as a backup for friends and family.

Here are my two Ultimates side-by-side. The FX is on the left, the basic 12 on the right.

IMG_2997 (2).jpg

And from the sterns (FX on right):

IMG_2999 (2).jpg

Although each kayak is listed at 12 feet long, the FX is slightly larger. It’s an inch longer (12’, 2”), ½ inch wider at 30.5 inches) and ½ inch deeper (12.5 inches). Those dimension variances may seem inconsequential but they’re very noticeable when you’re seated in the FX Pro. You have more interior space and more freeboard than in the regular Ultimate. You may even notice the FX Pro’s slightly larger footprint in the photos above.

Regarding weight, Native cites the 12 at 49 pounds and the FX Pro at 60. Indeed, I can tell that difference when I cartop them. As much as I like my Sienna van as an all- around “fishmobile”, I believe a pickup truck is in my future!

IMG_2968 (2).jpg

A major difference between boats is that the FX Pro comes standard with a removable plastic bow cover.

IMG_3005 (2).jpg

The cover is convex-shaped with drain channels to divert water from the interior of the boat. That was a critical factor in my decision to purchase the FX. I knew from experience in paddling both the Ultimate 12 and the Ultimate 14.5 (a longer version of the Ultimate) that waves could break over the bow. Given that Ultimates do not have scuppers, the bow cover was an essential enhancement for me to feel comfortable in the boat in larger waters. The FX Pro, with its higher freeboard and protected bow satisfies my need.

Regarding the issue of no scuppers, all Ultimates are equipped with foam blocks in the bow and stern for flotation. While the hull could possibly fill with water, it will not sink. Fortunately, I have never been in that situation. I have paddled a 14.5 during seriously declining weather conditions in FL and returned to the launch with several inches of water in the interior. The boat continued to handle fine. (The capacity of the FX Pro is 350 pounds. In addition to my weight, I’d have to take on approximately 20 gallons of water to reach that limit.) Given my desire for a lighter hull for transport reasons, the lack of scuppers is a tradeoff I was willing to make.

A major enhancement on the FX Pro is its seat. While I have never found the seat on the 12 to be uncomfortable, it does sit low in the hull. Getting out of the Ultimate 12 after a lengthy outing is sometimes a sloth-like ordeal for me. I patiently wait for my legs to start working so that I can slowly unfold my frame and rise from the low sitting position in the Ultimate 12.

The FX Pro has a slightly higher seat position making a bit easier to get up. The seat rests on a substantial sliding platform that allows you to move forward or back. Moving the seat fore or aft allows you to trim the boat to keep the sharp bow in the water which aids your tracking. The seat also has a hi-low position which the basic 12 lacks. As I write this review, I have not tried the high seat position. I tend to be conservative in that matter keeping my kayak seats in their lowest position to enhance stability. I have never raised the seat on my Hobie Revolution either. But I will try it in the FX on a calm day to see if I like it.

There is no adjustable lumbar support on the FX seat but as with the standard 12, it offers infinite settings for vertical back support. It’s very comfortable.

Another seat enhancement in the FX is that even in its low position, Native has provided space under it for two Plano 3600 series storage boxes. That’s a nice feature.

IMG_3004 (2).jpg

The FX Pro has rubber padding on the gunnels and on the interior of the hull. Even grooved rests for rods on forward thwart are padded. That’s helpful in dampening noise as you fish. You can never be too stealthy in shallow water! But the abundance of rubber padding has no doubt added weight. The padding on the hull floor also enhances standing – something I never do in a kayak. But if you’re inclined to do so, you’ll find that extra traction to be welcome.

IMG_3002 (2).jpg

Regarding standing, all Ultimate kayaks have double channeled hulls that provide excellent primary and secondary stability. The channels are slightly wider in the FX Pro. Native advertises that you can stand in both boats. Again, I never have.

The FX Pro has 6 gear tracks strategically placed for optimum use. There are long tracks on the gunwales. There is a shorter track on the floor between your legs. Another on the forward thwart and two behind your seat. They provide many options for mounting rods, your paddle, cameras, fish finders, etc. The Ultimate 12 has only 2 gear tracks, one on each gunwale.

The FX Pro comes with an anchor trolley on the starboard side of the boat. It’s kept under tension with a bungee cord and a pulley. Its operation is smoother than the non-bungee anchor trolley on the traditional Ultimate. That’s not a game changer to me as I rarely anchor. But anglers who do, will enjoy the ease of use of the FX Pro’s anchor trolley under elastic tension.

IMG_3001 (2).jpg

Finally, the FX Pro has bungee cords on the bow and stern that the regular 12 lacks. They’re helpful for securing your Hawg Trough, crate or other gear.

IMG_3003 (2).jpg

I’m pleased with Native’s Ultimate kayak offerings. I feel fortunate to enjoy the use of two.

Interestingly, Native recently reduced the price on its Ultimate 12 from $995 to $795. I paid the former price for my 2016 Ultimate 12 and believe it was worth every penny. At its new price I think it’s a bargain. My 2019 FX Pro was $1199 which I also think is reasonable given its slightly larger platform, the overall quality of the boat and its amenities.

Please note that I am not on Native’s pro staff nor have I received any compensation or encouragement to write this review. I’m actually not firmly wedded to any brand of kayak. I’ve paddled a number of the notable brands on guided outings and on test runs. I’ve owned two Hobies including a Revo 13 that I still possess. I believe every fishing kayak has its strengths and weaknesses. Whatever works best to meet your needs is great in my opinion. I’m just sharing my experience and opinions here on two fishing kayaks.

Finally, here’s the FX Pro with me on the water.

Mark in FX.jpg

Photo courtesy of John Rentch.

I hope you found this review useful.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Nice write up Mark.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks Mark. I like how you note the differences between the 2 boats. I've always been fond of the Ultimate kayaks. I am certainly interested in light weight and fast paddling kayaks. My current armada of kayaks are all slow.

It would be interesting to compare the Ultimate 12 kayaks to a light weight solo canoe for fishability, weight, tracking, and speed.

Comment

Great review Mark. Looks like a lot of kayak for the money.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Mark - Thank you for publishing this thorough review of two Native kayak models. The Ultimate FX was intended to keep the easy to paddle layout of the original Ultimate, but also provide some newer features to make the kayak more comfortable and user-friendly.

I hope you bring many fish over the gunwales of the new kayak.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Mike, John R., John V.,

Thank you.

Tom,

Long before I learned of Ultimate kayaks, I almost pulled the trigger on an Old Town solo canoe. In fact I once owned an Old Town Discovery 174 which was a beast of a touring canoe well over 80 pounds. I could cartop it in my younger days but not as I got older. I wanted something smaller. However, reviews indicated that the smaller canoe I was looking at was tippy. I cannot remember its name (it might have been the 119) but it was about 12 feet and very lightweight. I hadn't considered them since I got into kayaking. Intrigued by your reply to my post, I looked at their website and found this newer offering:

https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors...solo-sportsman

That's a very Ultimate-like boat with a similar weight.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Hi Mark,

That is the exact Old Town Solo Canoe I was looking at. 56 pounds. Decent looking seat. It appears to be a few inches wider than the Ultimate FX. I'm not very familiar with canoes, so I don't have a feel for how it would glide. Something light weight, easy to transport, yet would glide well for paddling up rivers, into wind, and long distances is appealing to me. Not sure if the Ultimate FX Pro, or Ultimate 12 would do that better than the Discovery 119 Solo Sportsman. The price is fine on the canoe.

For my OBX fishing on the sound, I am realizing I need something that will have more glide. Something that I can paddle longer distances easily. If it is windy or wavy, I won't be fishing anyways. So I'm not all that concerned with water getting inside. I'm thinking that a pedal powered kayak will be the way to go....however, a small jon boat might be even better and possibly more affordable than a new pedal kayak.

Comment

Tom,

My my impression about the canoe from just the specs is:

1. It’s beam is wider than the Ultimate. It may not not paddle as easy nor glide as far as an Ultimate.
                2. The bow is considerably taller. That’s good for shedding water, but it’s also going to catch wind as canoes often do. It may not paddle as well as an Ultimate in crosswinds.

Those are the negatives. On the positive side it’s roomier given its extra beam. Also the added beam may increase its stability. However, the online questions/answers discourage standing.

I like its appearance but I’d definitely paddle it before a purchase.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Agreed, Mark!

Comment

Awesome review, Is there built in space for sonar? Also as it does collect water how do you get it out?
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                      Awesome review, Is there built in space for sonar? Also as it does collect water how do you get it out?
                      Yes, there are side tracks on each side and a small track across the front thart(sp). As for water, have not had any problems yet, but haven’t taken it into serious waves. You might want to have a small scoop or boat sponge on board.
                      John Rentch
                      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

As John said, there are several areas to mount a fish finder with the aid of existing gear tracks on the FX Pro. The forward thwart also has two flat areas where you could place a Scotty base mount for a fish finder. I think the best placement for the transducer would be in the bow in a "through-the-hull" configuration. The battery could be hung in some manner off of the forward thwart.

During a normal trip in calm conditions, very little water collects in the hull of either Ultimate, the regular or the FX Pro. Most of the water I pick up drips off my paddle on the back stroke and collects in the stern, maybe 1/2 a cup of water on most outings. A sponge or rag will remove it after the trip. (Note that I was in several downpours during a recent trip to the Adirondacks in my Ultimate 12 and the water that collected in the hull posed no problem.)

While you're paddling you won't even know the water is there because it tends to run to the stern. On those rare occasions where you actually see water on the floor of the hull, it would be because you have paddled in extremely choppy water that came over the bow or perhaps took a wake over the gunwale. But again, both Ultimates can handle a lot of water like that before you're in danger. If you started to collect water near your feet due to high seas, it would be a warning to get off of the water.

Most of the water I remove from my Ultimates comes from my hose when I rinse the boats after outings. I squirt the inside of my boats thoroughly to clean them after trips.

The Ultimate 12 has two small drainage ports mid-craft just under the port and starboard gunwales. I simply tilt the boat on its side and the water drains out.

The FX Pro has a larger drain with a rubber stopper on the bow. You can see it in the photos of the original post. Or here's a closer look:

IMG_3011.jpg

The bow drain on the FX Pro vacates the water much faster than the side vents on the Ultimate 12. But it's a little more difficult to tilt and hold the boat steady on its bow than it is to merely tip it on its side. As a result, John and I have contemplated drilling our own side vents in the FX Pro like those in the Ultimate 12.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                        X