Massive fish caught from kayak in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive fish caught from kayak in Texas

I was really excited when I caught a 100-lb tarpon from a kayak in Miami last month. That accomplishment pales in comparison to a 200-lb alligator gar caught by a kayak angler in Texas.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoo...-minute-tussle

What do you think is a practical length/weight limit for: a) catching a fish from a kayak, and b) bringing a fish onboard for the glory photo shot?
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

To be honest, I was disappointed to see a photo of this fish strapped to hood of the angler’s truck. I checked growth charts and that particular alligator gar was 30 years old or more. It was a shame to remove it from the alligator gar population. After all, fisheries officials are presently contemplating regulations to preserve the presence of large (old) spawning female stripers in the biomass. They know how important a mature breeding stock is in maintaining the viability of fish species.

I’m likely in the minority here but I see no point in targeting big fish from a kayak. You have to play them to point of exhaustion usually with undersized tackle where they may die even if you release them. Also, there is some degree of danger for the kayaker, especially offshore if a truly big fish overturns your relatively small ride dumping you into the water.

I just think there are better means to pursue and catch truly big fish. It’s called a boat.

So, I don't have maximum length/weight limit. In fact, I do a very good job of NOT catching big fish in my kayak. But that’s OK with me. It makes my occasional 18-inch LM or SM bass, 20-inch striper or 24-inch pickerel an exciting and well appreciated tussle.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

+1 Mark Dead on.

This is not an edible fish? Take the picture and get the mount made...….

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Mark that was my initial reaction as well (even tho i'm a you-kill-it you-eat-it kinda guy) but after a minute or so, i'm hoping this guy was planning to have it stuffed or a life-size replica created.

I know you estimate the size from a digital photo, but nothing is better than the real-thing, and that's definitely a once in a lifetime Alligator Gar.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I am originally from south central Arkansas...we used to fish for alligator gar...it is edible...IMHO not the greatest tasting..the backstrap meat along the backbone was all we would use and we made fish cakes out of them...not bad, but there are better fish to eat...monster fishing out of a kayak is risky...I wouldn’t do it and I have caught a lot of big monster fish...not recently...and I have no desire to ever do it again...too much like work...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I must admit that I am surprised by those who posted saying they do not target large fish. Of course, "large" or "big" means different things to different people. I have seen quite a few Snaggedline members brag about catching stripers of 25" and over. Likewise, larger bluefish, trout, redfish, blue catfish, etc. caught from kayaks are a special treat that few of us can catch with any regularity.

I understand that there is a difference between a 30" rockfish and a 100-lb tarpon or a 200-lb gar. My initial post was trying to get a sense of where the boundary falls for a really nice "large" fish vs. a huge monster.

I personally do not intentionally target "huge" fish, but I am always on the lookout for "large" fish. When I happen to hook one, I am excited but also cautious about fighting it, handling it, and always releasing it. I keep very few fish each year, and in general would prefer to eat a smaller fish than a really big one. The taste is better in the smaller fish, and there are fewer food chain toxins accumulated in the meat.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Big fish should be for photo ops only. The smaller ones are best table fare the monsters are best breeders. Release them Unless they are invasive and causing problems ........ then take all you can.

Comment

I actually feel bad for the fish on those rare occasions when I hook one larger than normal in my kayak. I'm aware that its struggle to escape during the time it takes me to land it on light tackle is very stressful. Also, most of the fish we pursue have surprisingly long lives. When I do catch a sizable one I refer to growth charts after I get home to determine its approximate age. I respect that it survived predation, freezing water and other anglers for 8, 10 or maybe 20 years. I don't want to be the reason for removing it from the population due to C&R aftereffects.

So I really do prefer to catch smaller fish. They're easy to reel in and I can quickly get them unhooked and back into the water so I can continue casting for more. Now, I don't like to catch 6 to 10 inch stripers. I move on if I encounter them. And it's not much fun catching a fish that is hardly bigger than the fly I cast:

P1010163.jpg

But I still get much enjoyment catching 10 to 12 inch white perch and 8 inch bluegills. Chasing barely legal stripers, bass, pickerel and panfish is a simple pursuit for sure but I really like it and I like kayaking in the areas where those fish are found.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

To me a large fish is five feet long and 100 pounds plus...all under that are very manageable in a kayak...200-1000 pound fish are best left to large powerboats...in truth “large” is species specific...a 2 pound sunfish is humungous! While a 300 pound tiger shark is not a very big tiger...my biggest black drum was 83 pounds and looked like it was much heavier...my Virginia State Record Great Hammerhead Shark was 12 feet six inches long and 63 inch girth...430 pounds...a large Hammerhead for this far north but in reality it was just a medium size Great Hammerhead shark if caught in Florida...hunting those monster fish for me was mostly an ego trip that was back in my foolish youth...today, I have finally grown up and just enjoy a good 12 inch white perch..
                  Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-14-2019, 01:50 PM.
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                    I actually feel bad for the fish on those rare occasions when I hook one larger than normal in my kayak. I'm aware that its struggle to escape during the time it takes me to land it on light tackle is very stressful.
                    In a situation where you unexpectedly hook into a fish much larger than your target species, I can understand what you describe above. But when you target larger fish, you bring the appropriate sized gear and have a game plan for how you're going to land and safely release the fish from the kayak before you even hook one. I feel like there is more chance to cause the fish undue stress and harm when they are caught by people not targeting them than by the people who are.
                    Brian

Comment

There used to be a video of a guy fishing in the Gulf of Mexico who latched on to a big Tiger shark. It was taking him for a ride before he cut it loose. I have no problem catching large fish in a yak but, being an old fart, if it feels like something that can tip me, the line gets cut.
                      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                      X