Teaching an “old dog” new tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching an “old dog” new tricks

Happy Thanksgiving Snaggedliners...thinking about the 2019 season...it was one of my better years even though the “tried and true” lures, methods were not producing fish like years past. It was hard fishing, but...it was a learning experience...we never learn anything from success, only failure is a teacher...because it was a down year, I was forced to change up lures, methods and try new things...one big “new” thing was the Pearl/chart 4 inch Gulp shrimp...fished slow, bouncing it occasionally on a 1/8 oz jighead...killer lure, Stripers, Speckled Trout, Big White perch- all ate it up! Yeah, kept it quiet, didn’t think too much about it at the time, but when others were not catching fish, I was...not because I am special or anything...the real secret was shrimp are here...it was as simple as “match the hatch” advice of fly fishing...large schools of shrimp moved into backwater creeks and flats in Southern Maryland...Buzz Marina caught shrimp in a cast net off their docks...nice, eating size white shrimp! The other lure that was doing well was the gold 3/8 oz. Kastmaster with single hook...when nothing else was working, throwing the Kastmaster and letting it sink for five seconds before cranking with a jerk, jerk, jerk retrieve was killer, especially for Bluefish and school Stripers...caught two nice Spanish Mackerel doing it...Thanks, Bill Connelly for showing me this...looking at my fishing log this morning...2019 was a pretty amazing year for me...but it was definitely not a normal year- I learned a lot...and at 73 and a life long fisherman...yeah, no one knows it all...you can teach old dogs new tricks!
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron - Your experience and willingness to try something different when the usual methods are not working is an important component of why you are a good fisherman. 2019 has been a tough year locally. Like you, I tried new techniques and new spots in search of better fishing. Lets hope for a successful year ahead.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Old dogs don’t learn new tricks ............ Guess you are not an old dog after all !!!

Comment

I suspect I'll stop learning only when the inevitable happens. You know, that condition we equate with taxes. I hope I have a lot of learning left to do with much of it being on the water.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks to all of you "old dogs" that continue to share you knowledge and experience with all of us here.
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

My dad always says ......... as long as you stay active , you will never get old. Based on your adventures on here, I’d say you definitely fall into the “active timer” category and not the other one. Hope you stay active and continue to share your adventures and knowledge with us.
            Last edited by DuffDynasty; 11-29-2019, 07:33 PM.
            PASADENA
            2018 VIBE SEA GHOST 130- TEAM ORANGE

INSTAGRAM - @duff_dynasty1

Comment

Working...
            X