A day on the upper Honga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day on the upper Honga

Needed a mental health day so I headed out to the Honga River on Wed morning. I launched from a primitive ramp on World's End Creek at the end of Charles Creek Rd.. 30 mins into my paddle I found myself cowering in the woods for about 45 min while a hellacious thunder storm blew through. Eventually I got to the cut between Wroten Isl. & Parks Neck where I caught 4 dink trout- 3 specks and one grey trout and a few schoolie stripers in the hole at the north end.Not quite what I was hoping for but I did catch trout, which was on my wish list. The tides were weird and running strong so the waters were fairly roiled.

At about 2:30 I drove over to the Hooper Island bridge and was surprised that the tide was already running out as the high tide was predicted for 4:00. I guess all those islands and creeks conspire to confound those predictions. Fishing was outstanding. I lost count of all the 18-22" stripers I hooked & released. Opening night BKD's on 3/4 oz jigs with a straight up and down jigging stroke got me the most hookups, I got very few strikes while my bait was up-current.

Eventually the tidal flow and east wind got to be a bit too much. I couldn't control my baits and it was too hard to stay where fish were located. I bailed about 6:30 and made the drive back through another very intense thunderstorm that intercepted me around Annapolis. I was completely spent by the time I got home- just the way a good fishing trip should end!

Steve, Greenbelt

Sounds like a fun time, thanks for the report!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

good day on the water!!! sounds like you earned with the weather conditions!!! all the best! ""bent rods and tight lines always my friend""

Comment

Sounds like a nice trip. I have been looking at the Honga River on the map. Haven't been but looking to go.

Comment

i love it down there but it can be a little harsh sometimes.

congrats on the trout! anyone else fishing the cut?
          Last edited by Southerly; 09-29-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Weather is key to being able to fish the Honga. It's pretty exposed there and the winds can blow you off the water in no time, even when the forecasts indicate fair winds. Still, the scenery of the Blackwater and the concentration of stripers at the bridge in the fall are too strong to resist.

Steve, Greenbelt

Comment

Good job on the fishing Steve. Too bad you did not take any pictures?

Comment

I took some landscape photos and one shot of a trout, which I can post later. Photography at the bridge was not an option due to constant attention needed for paddling in all that current.

Steve, Greenbelt

Comment

surprised you didnt find more or bigger specks around there. That is supposed to be a great area for them. Great place to get away for the day though!

Comment

Nice catching, Steve! That's an area I'd love to explore sometime. How long of a drive is it from the Bay Bridge?

Comment

From the Bay Bridge the drive is just under 2 hours when traffic is flowing. Hence I tend to drive down early and come home late.

Be sure to check the wind forecasts! You can generally add 5+ kts margin to the NOAA wind forecasts to guesstimate the mean wind velocities you'll experience there. I don't think I've ever underestimated the winds for that location.

Comment

I enjoyed catching those specks in the Back River, that I would love to go down their for the day and give it another try with the popping cork.

Comment

Working...
                        X