Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Of VA Enacts Menhaden Moratorium

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/s...nhaden-fishery

I'll be curious to see how this pans out. It has been a hotly contested issue for as long as I can remember though.
    Should be a good thing for all the local fish populations, more forage is always a good thing.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

What a WONDERFUL Christmas gift!!!!

Comment

Carson - Thanks for sharing that news. One minor clarification -- the moratorium was imposed by the U.S. Dept of Commerce Secretary, not by the Commonwealth of Virginia. The DOC expects that Virginia will revise its state regulations to accomplish the moratorium. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with many interested parties involved, including Canadian-owned Omega.

I am curious to see if this affects in any way the many small menhaden harvesters (pound netters). Those guys are local watermen who collect modest amounts of menhaden for crab pot bait and for use in chumming.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

........ and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ........

Comment

The Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission had reduced Omega’s quota last year by 41% and Omega gave them the one finger salute and said they had no choice but to take what they wanted since 41% was arbitrary. Since they flaunted the law/recommendation last year I see little hope they’ll change their ways this year. Omega spends a lot of money lobbying in Virginia and they provide around 300 jobs in an economically stressed area, I for one will only believe it when I see it.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
          X