Finally got myself a Stradic (lite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got myself a Stradic (lite)

So I don't often buy new reels, but I needed to replace my aging sahara 4000fd. It's caught many a big fish in its day, including my only MD citation, but despite a few semi-major repairs, it's been singing its death song. That isn't bad considering I got it probably 10 years ago for maybe $70 and have fished it for everything from stocker trout to medium sized sharks.

Anyway, I had a $100 gift card burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to pickup a Shimano Spheros Inshore 4000SW. This is a new reel from shimano, and it's basically a way for them to keep using the molds from the Stradic FK (the new model stradic is the FL). It's very similar to the FK minus 1 ball bearing in the sideplate (it uses a bushing), and it uses the rotor from the Ultegra, which is a pricier reel. It also uses bushings in the handle knob vs bearings in the FK, and a different line roller bearing and bail design. It has the same gears, same frame, worm-gear oscillation (rare in a reel below $150 from Shimano), and waterproofing as the FK as well, but a color scheme that's similar to the Nasci. I don't think the FK used CF drag washers in the 3 and 4000 sizes, but this reel does, and it's got a thread-in handle as opposed to the weird thread through design that some cheaper shimanos use. For $120, it's tough to beat this kind of a deal. They only offer the reel in 2 sizes, a 3000 and 4000, and I think 2 different ratios for the 3000. I don't think they wanted to cannibalize some of their other models, so they only offered a couple sizes, but it does make a few of their reels seem odd. The Ultegra, for example, uses a completely plastic frame (versus metal for the spheros inshore) but it's $30 more expensive. They should've named the reel similar to the stradic FK instead of the spheros, as it shares far more with the former than the latter. But apart from the name, and maybe a few small gripes I have with the reel, it really is one of the best deals for saltwater spinning reels at its price point. I recommend it, and will be giving it a proper test soon, starting in NC over new years.

I have a stable of Shimano Spinning reels I use, mostly Stradics and a couple of Sustains..none bigger than the 3000 as I have discovered the 2500 size to be about perfect size for inshore light tackle kayak fishing...when I go Catfishing it is with the low profile baitcasters, mostly ABU Revos and one Shimano 200 E...all with 30# braid...most of my Shimano spinning reels are three years or older and have had lots of fish caught on them...very durable reels if you do any normal maintenance at all and I have never had a single failure from any of these reels. As the years of use adds up, the price of the investment goes down...you get what you pay for, although overall the quality of spinning reels has improved at most all price points. If I needed to buy another spinning reel Diawa and Shimano would be high on my list...as Diawa has really upped their game in recent years with higher quality components on their entire line of spinning reels. Not saying Shimano uses lessor quality, but when you are the leader in the market as Shimano has been for many years, they have pretty much stood with a “pat hand” as other competitors have caught up...Shimano spinning reels are like Hobie kayaks...everything is compared to them...this is just as good as a Hobie...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-12-2020, 09:06 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I LOVE Shimano reels. I have several Stratics and recently bought a couple of Stellas. They’ve never let me down.

Comment

I used to be a Shimano fan.
        I started with an AX cheapo from K-Mart, right after I got out of college to replace my trusty, old Mitchell 309. Figure 45 years ago.

I progressed up through the various models, including several Stellas (I bought them on consignment as "new"-old stock. I did not pay retail price for them).

I had a batch of Stradics.
        The first one I bought I think I paid $49.95 for, new, the Black Aero which became the Stradic. That was a while ago. I may still have around here, somewhere.
        Then they started to really jack up the price. Once they got over $179.00, I gave up.

I sold my last 4 Stradics, although I have a bunch of spare spools sitting in a box.

My issue with Shimano is that they will no longer service my older Stellas. I'd send them in yearly, but no longer. They did offer me a $100.00 dollar coupon to replace them........If they are not going to support their top of the line reel, I no longer will contribute to them by buying a new product.

I have since converted over the a Daiwa BG. It's a little heavier then the Stradic, and the bail clicks over with a "clunk" rather than the "snick" but it is 1/4 of the price of the latest Stradic.
        Better bang for the buck.

Comment

Got a Diawa BG 2500...it is OK...but I only use it once in a while...like you say, it is significantly heavier, and a bit clunky...works fine...good drag, but...I fish lures 95% of the time and all light tackle...I cast a lot and light weight, easy of operation, long accurate casts, silky smooth drag are my priorities as I hit the old age level...and figure the 48 to 50 fishing trips per year I go kayak fishing puts a premium on my equipment...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            ...as Diawa has really upped their game in recent years with higher quality components on their entire line of spinning reels. Not saying Shimano uses lessor quality, but when you are the leader in the market as Shimano has been for many years, they have pretty much stood with a “pat hand” as other competitors have caught up....
            Shimano is definitely leads the US market, but Daiwa makes some incredible reels. Daiwa confuses me though. As good as some of their middle and high tier spinning reels are, they don't really seem to care about the US. Maybe they do and just haven't been able to get their foot in the door. I don't know. Outside of the North America though, Daiwa is king. I tried some Daiwas overseas, mainly because its hard to find Shimanos, and was blown away. I grabbed some Daiwa Caldia LTs a couple years ago and my stradics and sustains (which actually cost more) have been collecting dust. I really like their BGs too. Amazing reel for the price point. Some people have mentioned the weight, but I guess I'm not at a point in my life yet where I've ever gotten home from a fishing trip and thought to myself, "Man, I wish my reels were 100g lighter."

Here in the states, Shimanos are a no brainer. If you want a Daiwa the same quality level as a stradic or sustain, your going to pay $50-100 more for it than you would a Shimano.
            "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
            Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Yeah, you’re right...Diawa Ballistic LT is basically the Stradic cI-4(+) and the Tatula LT is one really nice Spinning reel...but like you point out. Price wise you can get the Stradics...I have two Shimano Sustains and they are awesome reels, but not really a good value buy...when they are just a marginally upgraded Stradic...hard to justify spending the extra money...

Comment

I owned two Stradics. Honestly, I prefer my Penn Battle IIs and it's not even that close.
                Native Titan Propel 12
                Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                Mercury 6hp
                Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

It is great to have options and a wide selection of fishing gear to consider. I have owned nothing but Stradics for at least the past 15 years. I'm sure there are better or comparable reels out there, and certainly there are plenty of less expensive reels too. But I am used to the way the work and like the faster retrieve ratio. To each, his own.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    It is great to have options and a wide selection of fishing gear to consider. I have owned nothing but Stradics for at least the past 15 years. I'm sure there are better or comparable reels out there, and certainly there are plenty of less expensive reels too. But I am used to the way the work and like the faster retrieve ratio. To each, his own.
                    I wish I would've found my go to reel long ago. It would have saved me from a bin full of reels that I don't use. On the plus side, at least I have some reels for the kids to use when they have the local kids fishing derby.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

For those who want to try a Stradic reel at lower than full retail, this is a good time to shop. A few months ago Shimano introduced their latest version of the Stradic (FL series). Shimano's policy is that their dealers cannot sell the current version of reels for less than full retail price. However, when a new version comes out, the previous version can be marked down. I have bought some reels through eBay at reduced prices.

This morning I saw a brand new Stradic HK 2500 (the previous version) for sale on Amazon for $149.99 https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Strad...89161119&psc=1.

Also check out the winter fishing flea markets and shows for good deals.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Like Yakscientist posted the Speros SW Inshore at $119.99 is an incredible buy...right there with the Diawa BG as far as quality for the buck...forget the model name...it is essentially a Stradic...

Comment

I posted a Stradic FK in the 'deals' subforum last week from Cabelas, $199msrp on sale for $136.

Deals are out there if you are searching!
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            Like Yakscientist posted the Speros SW Inshore at $119.99 is an incredible buy...right there with the Diawa BG as far as quality for the buck...forget the model name...it is essentially a Stradic...
                            Yep you got it. It's still holding up well after a few ocean trips in NC and a yak trip in the susky. No fish yet on it, darn! My first fish on the BG2500 was a 26" striper, that was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                              My first fish on the BG2500 was a 26" striper, that was the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

With the BG or the Striper? Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X