This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Times Story

The EPA has just announced a relaxing of dumping raw sewage into rivers and streams...Washington
    , DC is prominent in the article..ugh!
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I feel like I can't be the only who thinks no amount of raw sewage being dumped into the rivers and bay is the right amount...
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yeah .......... trump has neutered the EPA ........ lowered air standards, sued California because they had higher standards for pollution from cars, repealed regulations that now allow mines to dump in streams that kill them, allowing raw sewerage dumping in the waterways etc etc etc. I can remember when a river off the Great Lakes caught on fire because of industry dumping and the Potomac being so polluted that very little fish survived. Now the Great Lakes and the Potomac are GREAT fisheries because of the EPA regulations trump is quickly destroying. Shoot, he even gave the green light for a gold mine to destroy the last great Salmon run that fisherman and the EPA and many conservation have been fighting for over a decade and EPA had defeated it and had regulated against it.

Sorry for bringing politics into this. I usually try my best to shut down political discussions on fishing boards but enough is enough. It is sad to see our waterways and fishing spots regulated into being cesspools when we have been trying for along time to clean them up and was finally making progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
        Yeah .......... trump has neutered the EPA ........ lowered air standards, sued California because they had higher standards for pollution from cars, repealed regulations that now allow mines to dump in streams that kill them, allowing raw sewerage dumping in the waterways etc etc etc. I can remember when a river off the Great Lakes caught on fire because of industry dumping and the Potomac being so polluted that very little fish survived. Now the Great Lakes and the Potomac are GREAT fisheries because of the EPA regulations trump is quickly destroying. Shoot, he even gave the green light for a gold mine to destroy the last great Salmon run that fisherman and the EPA and many conservation have been fighting for over a decade and EPA had defeated it and had regulated against it.

Sorry for bringing politics into this. I usually try my best to shut down political discussions on fishing boards but enough is enough. It is sad to see our waterways and fishing spots regulated into being cesspools when we have been trying for along time to clean them up and was finally making progress.
        Orange Man Bad!!! Sure, dismiss political discourse prior to going on a liberal rant then say it's all the President's fault.
        John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
        Hobie Outback (Papaya)
        Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

The facts are hard to deny.
          No rant needed, just look as what the current administration has done to restrict EPA standards for air, and water.
          Nothing else to be said.
          Last edited by bignose; 01-27-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I just hate to get floating turds on the hull of my Hobie Outback...and getting flesh eating bacteria in my cuts on my fingers from braid..otherwise, nothing about politics...this is contemporary..right now, right here in our water we fish, we kayak...just like the Access issue at the park...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              The facts are hard to deny.
              No rant needed, just look as what the current administration has done to restrict EPA standards for air, and water.
              Nothing else to be said.
              You're right, probably has nothing to do with failed Democrat policies and inability to manage the upkeep of these Sewage Treatment plants.
              John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
              Hobie Outback (Papaya)
              Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Originally posted by gtrfan View Post
                You're right, probably has nothing to do with failed Democrat policies and inability to manage the upkeep of these Sewage Treatment plants.
                Yeah ....... and you can thank the shrub for that. He also weakened the EPA and GREATLY reduced the money to the states that paid for those improvements that were needed to keep up with the population expansion and the sewerage treatment plants. It was an easy decision for the localities. I guess you are referring to the Clean Water Act and the formation of the EPA as the “failed Democratic policies”. You know ........ the ones that let you fish today with actual fish in the water. PLEASE enlighten us as to the policies that the repugnantcans have enacted to enhance the clean environment. PLEASE ENLIGHTEN US !!!
                Last edited by Memory Maker; 01-28-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I mean hasn't Georgetown been dumping sewage into the Potomac for YEARS now?

Comment

Originally posted by bch89 View Post
                    Many places have been putting sewage into local rivers for years. Do you want it to get worse?

This means the future of fishing is pretty bleak. Bullhead catfish, carp, snakeheads and other species that can live in a toilet. Not much else.

May be time to take up golf. Lol

Comment

I like snaggedline because of the lack of petty bickering that occurs on many other forums.

We can cherry pick stats and laws that align with your personnal political views or we can try taking a few step back and realize that no one administration put us where we are at today. Since the 1985 ban started, one party was in power 57% of the time nationally while the other party was in control 67% of the time at the state level (MD). Plenty of blame to go around. I personally see no difference between bad environmental policy and inaction on environmental policy, but that just me. Pick any administration and you will find no shortage of policies (national to local) that can be directly linked to the decline of the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

Where we're at today is due to a pungent blend of bad government policy, greedy corporations, unchecked poaching and overzealous rec anglers. We can all share the blame. Let he who has not done anything to harm the environment cast the first stone....
                      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by bch89 View Post
                        ........ and now they made it legal so they don’t even have to bother restricting it for fear of fines etc. Pretty soon you’ll only be able to fish for freshly dumped “brown trout”. I can’t believe the lack of logic from the trumpanzes. trump does ALOT of things wrong but not according to his followers. He was right when he said he could kill someone and not be held accountable.

Comment

I'm done with this discussion. It is rapidly turning the forum into Tidalfish.

Time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                            ........ and now they made it legal so they don’t even have to bother restricting it for fear of fines etc. Pretty soon you’ll only be able to fish for freshly dumped “brown trout”. I can’t believe the lack of logic from the trumpanzes. trump does ALOT of things wrong but not according to his followers. He was right when he said he could kill someone and not be held accountable.
                            I'm not a "trumpanze." I think the guy is an idiot. I actually think most politicians are corrupt who's main intentions are whoever's paying the most on K Street. For my whole life there's nothing I've heard more than the Potomac River being a barren wasteland from Georgetown south.

Comment

It was waaaay worse back in the 60/70’s. I can remember staying on a houseboat on the Anacostia River that I thought was great so I could fish all the time ........... that is until I saw a turd floating by a couple of hours after a hard rain.

Sorry for the political rant. I too want to keep especially this website politics free. This guy just keeps doing stuff that is beyond belief.

Comment

Working...
                              X