Catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catfish

So it is “that” time of the year again...time to fill the freezer with filets...rigs, tackle, bait and locations...all topics of a good post. I usually only use low profile baitcaster rigs on medium heavy 6’6” and 7’ rods with 30# braid or heavier...I rig up 4/0-7/0 circle hooks on heavy mono and a swivel as my terminal rig...an egg sinker of 3/4 to 1 Oz on the main line becomes essentially a fish finder rig. I use a decent size cut bait of alewife or mud Shad as bait, although some prefer chicken. Most stretches of the Potomac River and it’s creeks as well as the Patuxent River are my catfish spots. Mattawoman Creek is a go to with higher winds than I want to brave in the Main stem of the Rivers...sheltered, easy access and has some decent fishing. Marshall Hall is a good launch location as it has very convenient faculties and has some good structure nearby that usually holds fish. Breton Bay is another easy launch location with decent fishing...Benedict on the Patuxent is really a nice launch with good access...I always anchor up and try to fish a falling tide, to me moving water is essential to getting fish..slack water is a dead time for me. With the fish finder rig and circle hook I do not take the rod out of the holder until it is bent over pulling drag...many times the fish will play with the bait and not take it, after a few bumps without a full “take” I will reel it in and see if the bait is managed...if it is ok, I will add a few drops of Procure menhaden scent and put it back out. After I have five or so fish under 27-30 inches on my stringer, I head home. That is enough for several bags of filets to go in the freezer and a good day fishing.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-30-2020, 10:27 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

"I'm Ron Ault, and i'm a catfishaholic!"

Look forward to catfishin' with you once the temps warm up Ron.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Yes, the Blue cats are tasty. I love catching them like Ron. I have met many anglers who did not like to eat or catch blue catfish, but after a few time out on the water with good success and a tasty fish meal, they were hooked. Recently, they have been catching plenty of blue cats in the Susquehanna. However, the tastiest catch for me in the bay is the delectable tasty crustacean known as the Blue Crab.

"I am Martin, A.K.A. Machburner, and I am a Crabaholic!"

LOL
      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
      2016 Hobie Outback LE
      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

They slime you, they slime your boat, they puncture your hands, and the bait stinks. What’s not to like. Of course with the new rules coming on stripers we may have to learn to like it.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

You left out they bend your rod and run the drag on your reel, Mike. As they have few natural predators that feed on them, we need to”thin the herd” to prevent them from completely taking over our waters. I don’t fish for the big ones, but this year, i will not return the bigger fish as I have done in years before. DNR wants us to take them out of the waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            They slime you, they slime your boat, they puncture your hands, and the bait stinks. What’s not to like.
            Now that's funny...

Serious Question:

I found this from a NOAA webpage concerning invasive catfish:

"Blue catfish are native to the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio River basins. They were introduced into the James, Rappahannock, and York Rivers in Virginia during the 1970s and 1980s as a new recreational fishery. These catfish have quickly spread throughout the Bay into nearly every major tributary. Flathead catfish—also not native to the Chesapeake Bay—were introduced into the James River in the late 1960s. They have now been observed in the low-salinity upper sections of many Bay tributaries."

The MD DNR says they did not authorize the introduction of blue cats into the Chesapeake. Did the VA DNR plant them for "recreational" purposes. Just curious. I cannot find their acknowledgement if they did.

Also, for what it's worth, in looking for this information I learned that Channel Catfish are not native to MD waters. But I could not find a history of their introduction.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Oh Man, nothing like the fight with the "Big Uglies" Mike said it all, slimy rascals

Best part is stopping at the U-wash on the way home and power washing off all that "slime" before it really burns into the Yak.

Yak67
              2019 Hobie Outback
              2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
                Oh Man, nothing like the fight with the "Big Uglies" Mike said it all, slimy rascals

Best part is stopping at the U-wash on the way home and power washing off all that "slime" before it really burns into the Yak.

Yak67
                2019 Hobie Outback
                2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                You catfish guys are dedicated!

By the way, I finally found an admission on a website that VA "fisheries scientists" introduced blue cats into the VA rivers I mentioned above. However, no one is sure how the flatheads arrived.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

As a fisherman of opportunity- I fish for what is available...I do enjoy a big plate of fried catfish filets, potato salad and a slice of pecan pie...with steaming cup of strong “Folgers in my cup”...I have been known to fish for bluegills with 1/16 Oz jigs and a slipcork rig...catfish, snakeheads, gar, LM Bass, crappie...all good...whatever swims and eats my lures...

Comment

I got my first catfish from my kayak with Ron from the Benedict launch. I learned so much that day, Ron certainly knows his stuff and I am forever grateful that he shared some of his wisdom with me. Looking forward to doing a lot more fishing this year now that I got my own gear and tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Someone took you on your first trip. Moc, Bill and Kevin took me on my first kayak trip...no one knows it all..we all learn until the day we die. Learning never stops. I feel obligated by our common humanity to share my experience with anyone who asks...and it isn’t all about “do it my way,” everyone has a different feel, a different reaction time...General methods work, but individual finesse separates the guy catching fish using the exact same lure and the guy watching him catch fish, fishing side by side. Time on the water is key...as the weather warms, and water temps get above fifty degrees, go fish!

Comment

Blue cats have saved many a lonely cold kayak fishing trip, and have provided for some big surprise catches often when trolling for striper. Ron, do you nail the fish down to a board while you fillet them? I find they are just so damn slimy, that sometimes it's tough to get a good clean fillet off them, although the fillets are easy enough to skin with the normal technique, surprisingly.

Comment

I definitely want to get in on one of these early catfish trips. Keep meaning to every year but haven’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X