Shad Darts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad Darts?

I usually pick up my supply of Shad darts at the Pasadena flea market, it I missed it this year. Does anybody know a local, or a supplier or even an upcoming show where I can pick up Shad lures/darts/spoons?
    Thanks
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

Angler's use to carry them. They are not far from where the Pasadena fishing flea market occurs. Today, Saturday the 29th, they have an hour Snakehead seminar at 3:30pm. They will also have a snakehead tasting. I believe they also have a 10% off in the store. You should call to confirm. So you can go get a discount on you perch lures, tasted a fresh snakehead and hear a lecture.
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I cannot help you with finding a supplier for shad darts, although there are still several more fishing shows/flea markets this winter. For example, there is a large one in Annapolis today.

When I began shad fishing, I used primarily tandem shad dart rigs with an occasional Nungesser spoon. A few years ago, someone told me they used tandem rigs with inexpensive 1/8-oz or 1/16-oz jigheads and 2" twister tails. I began using those rigs and seem to catch just as many shad as I did when using the darts. I buy unpainted small jigheads in packs of 50 at a very low cost per jighead. I have several colors of small twistertails. Some anglers prefer the Bust Em Bait stingers. They work fine too.

The photo below shows a tandem rig with one small jighead and twister tail and one really beat up shad dart. I tie my own tandem rigs using mono and a barrel swivel.

2019-12-12 15-16-27.jpg
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have quite a few darts ( couple hundred) made up, depending on what size you want. Most are 1/8 oz. some are 1/16 oz.

I can bring these with me and sell them, along with my spinner jigs, at the Pasadena Sports Group meeting on March 9, where John Veil is presenting.

Are there any special colors that you want?

If you can't make it to the meeting send me a p.m. and maybe we can work something out.

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg
        Last edited by bignose; 03-01-2020, 09:32 AM.

Comment

If you can’t find shad darts then 1.5” to 2” panfish plastics work fine and come in a great variety of colors. I do nearly all my shad fishing at Fletchers where the Potomac meets tideline in DC. I catch both American shad and hickories there. Below are the shad lures and colors I use most.

IMG_0155.jpg

And this is how I rig them. I only use one lure at a time. My most favorite color for Fletchers is chartruese tail, orange body, red jighead
          Shad Lures, 3-31-13.jpg
          Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Both Tochterman’s and Bass Pro Shops carry Shad darts locally. The selection at Tochterman’s is great, and the folks there are very helpful.
            Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I dig like HJS but with a single small jig and twister tail grub.

Comment

This is kind of old thread but in case you haven't found any you might want to give Lockett Lures a try. The darts I have got from them are top notch and will take much abuse. Good paint and good hardware. https://www.lockettluresoutlet.com/shad-darts.html
                Can get them for about a buck apiece but do have to buy cards of 36.

Comment

The question is: Are we allowed to fish for Shad since it is not a fish that is allowed to be kept, hence no sustenance fishing.

I guess you could tell the DNR Officer that you are Perch fishing.

Comment

You can only catch fish for food according to the guidance soooooo Shad is off the table. Snakeheads aren’t.

Comment

I try to find deals on Ebay. 1/16 oz darts seem to serve me best on the small creeks where I target hickories. Cast far and the larger size hook works better. I recently purchased 20 painted with bucktails for 12 bucks including shipping.
                      Green Old Town Loon 111
                      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
                      X