Wartime footing on Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wartime footing on Coronavirus

We all have family, friends and coworkers affected by this deadly threat. Governor Hogan has advised us that it will get worse before it begins to get better. Hopefully we all survive, but there are no guarantees. Most of our activities meet the definition of “social distancing” and is a good distraction, exercise from the stress and constant worry of us or our family being stricken by the disease. There is a large number of us (me included) over 65 years old that have underlying health issues...right now the US has 4500 confirmed cases and 87 deaths...what is especially worrying is nine healthcare workers at Emory University caring for Coronavirus patients have tested positive. These professionals had the utmost in personal protective equipment and followed protocol. We must take this seriously. But we must also have balance and continue to live our lives with as much joy as we can find. The vaccines being tested are at least a year away from available if they prove to be effective. Be safe, be healthy, we will get through this. There will be a long recovery as our economy will grind to a stop. Politics as usual will not work. We must unite as one nation facing exactly the same challenges. Just like we did in World War II-victory gardens were planted, people sacrificed for the war effort. We must do this again. We are at war against a threat to humanity. But even during the darkest days of WWII, people fished. Get your stress relief when you can without putting you and your family in harms way...sorry for the long post, but we all must have similar thoughts and concerns...I plan on a few fishing trips here and there when it doesn’t put me in a compromising position. Good luck to all Snaggedliners...in health and in fishing.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Well said, Ron.

We will indeed prevail. We've been through pandemics before. I recall my grandmother telling me about the deadly world-wide flu epidemic of 1918 where funeral homes in Baltimore and elsewhere were overflowing and burials were delayed for weeks or more. Our advantages today are better medicine, improved research methods and perhaps most important, instant communication throughout the world. Each of these factors will play a role in defeating COVID-19.

It's important for us to cooperate with government officials and medical experts and each other. Mind the warnings, and yes, consider leaving a few rolls of toilet paper and gallons of milk on the store shelf for the next family.

Like you, I plan to continue fishing. It's a great stress reducer and perhaps one of the safest things we can do at present, taking cold water precautions into account, of course.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I TOTALLY agree with both of you guys. Right now both Italy and Spain are on total shutdown including shelter in place for everyone so they can’t even leave their homes. Soooooo fish now before a possible total shutdown.

Comment

I am taking Ron's sentiment to heart. I have fished 5 of the past 6 days and seen almost nobody else where I have been fishing. Four of those trips were kayak trips that have produced pickerel from Severn tributaries, and this morning's trip produced largemouth and fallfish from shoreline fishing in AA County. Getting out of the house for a few hours and getting fresh air and exercise should be beneficial. I plan to fish almost every day until I get some events on my schedule that require me to be elsewhere. For now, no church services, no weekly volunteer job, no fishing club meetings or happy hour outings - just fishing, outdoor walks, and a bit more TV than usual.

Here are two photos from today's fish.

2003-08-01 00-21-50.jpg 2003-08-01 01-33-59.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I will be doing some fishing as well. Also during any downtime I have from work I will be take some time to get my reels re-spooled, give the Yak/propel drive some maintenance and get my tackle organized for up coming season.
          Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Working...
          X