Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal vs. Paddle

Tim raised these questions in John Veil's "for sale" thread on this forum:

"Do you find that you can cover the about the same distance paddling compared to peddling? I like the ability of being able to fish hands-free but I figure that an easier way to do so in a paddle kayak would be a stake-out pole or an anchor. I have yet to use either method as I typically drift and adjust with my paddle, but I find that my lure isn't retrieved through the water as much as I'd like for it to be."

I think they're good questions and deserve a community response so I've created another thread to discuss this while not impeding John's sale. Besides that, like many, I'm stuck at home and have time at the moment to comment.

I actually devoted a chapter to this topic in my kayak fishing book.

In his answer, John mentioned that he essentially used his pedal kayak for trolling, not often for cruising shorelines to cast. Well, I am kind of the reverse of that when it comes to kayak fishing. I have indeed trolled with my pedal kayak -- a Hobie Revo 13. But trolling is not my preferred method of fishing. I have not done an exclusive trolling kayak trip in years. I don't like to troll. I find it exceedingly boring. Further, during those times I trolled, I kept looking at the shoreline terrain I was passing and thinking, "I bet that spot holds fish." Often I would break off trolling and head to those areas that piqued my interest to cast to them.

Now to answer one of Tim's questions, I do find that a pedal kayak is a wonderful machine for working shorelines and structure just like a bass fisherman in a Ranger Boat with a Minn-Kota Trolling Motor. I think pedal kayaks are often undervalued for that purpose since they are so much associated with trolling. I can go in and out of structure and forward and back with my pedals. With my Hobie I can cruise through very shallow water by "feathering" the flippers which essentially means I keep them close to the hull to avoid striking the bottom. I still have to use my left hand occasionally to steer the boat. But a quick tap on the rudder control is all that is needed to correct my course. Further, I do not have to anchor. I can use the pedals to hold position in moderate current and wind or I can easily circle back to my target position. I carry no anchor on my Hobie.

All of the above is far easier than when I use one of my paddle kayaks. Constantly picking up a paddle to correct drift can become unwieldy in high wind or fast current. I do carry an anchor on my paddle boats and while I am reluctant to use it, I sometimes do to hold position as I cast to fish. But then there is the added effort to retrieve your anchor to move on to another spot. That can get old fast on an outing.

I have no trouble keeping my lures and flies in the water regardless of the boat I use. I think that's due to my experience in proper boat positioning and my ability to compensate for on-the-water conditions.

However, there are tradeoffs that favor paddle boats.

The first is that the flippers or propeller under your boat may actually become an impediment to your fishing. Think of a pond with spatterdock and pads covering large surface areas. I have to avoid them in my Hobie. But my Native Ultimate kayaks will cruise right through them. Think of areas where hydrilla just under the surface is thick. It will stop your in your tracks in a pedal boat. But a paddle boat can glide over them.

And then there is the pedal mechanism itself protruding from the center of your deck. It takes up valuable deck space. It's also relatively heavy to transport to and from your kayak. At the least, it's something extra to carry during trip preparation and besides that, it's mechanical which requires some degree of maintenance.

As you know I like to fly fish from my kayaks. I can do so in my Hobie, but I prefer to fly fish in my paddle kayaks. Why? Because inevitably my fly line gets tangled in some form or manner on my pedals. A simple gust of wind can make you marvel at the loops and knots that ensue in a fly line intertwined in pedals.

But on the positive side for pedal boats, I can cover a lot more water in my Hobie than in my paddle boats. I can go faster too, up to 6 mph in sprints. I can cruise without stopping for long distances at 3 mph. And there are times when I'm returning to the launch bucking against the wind and current that I'm glad my legs are suppling the power to propel my boat, not my arms.

Each kayak version clearly has its plusses and minuses. And I didn't mention cost or hull weight here.

I find that I use my paddle boats much more often than my Hobie -- a lot more. I'd say four or five to one. Much of that is due to my preferred kayak fishing style which is smaller calmer waters than big open tidal locations and the fact that I fish ponds in cold weather (where I do not need the advantage of distance that my Hobie brings).

So, the answer in my mind is that pedal boats are indeed great. They're more than trolling boats. But sometimes a paddle boat is a better tool. For all of you out there longing for a pedal boat, think seriously about how and where you want to kayak fish. It may be precisely what you need. On the other hand, it may not.

I welcome others to comment on this topic of pedaling vs. paddling.

Thanks for listening.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Ive experienced all the points you made above.

My only suggestion (which I wish I wouldve thought of when buying my first kayak) is if you are deciding between the two, is that most pedal kayaks can be converted to paddle, but not many paddle boats can be converted to pedal.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
      Ive experienced all the points you made above.

My only suggestion (which I wish I wouldve thought of when buying my first kayak) is if you are deciding between the two, is that most pedal kayaks can be converted to paddle, but not many paddle boats can be converted to pedal.
      That's true. Good point. Although some pedal boats have a very wide beam and may be difficult to paddle far, my Revo is a slender boat. But in comparison to my Ultimates, it does not paddle well. If I leave the drive in and lock the fins to the hull, it pulls to the left. I can compensate with the rudder to some degree. That's OK for short distances -- like avoiding pond vegetation, but it would make a difficult/annoying paddle for any distance. If I remove the Mirage Drive, it's even worse. Water rushes up through drive port if I try to attain a desirable speed. Hobies come standard with a big plastic plug to insert into the Mirage Drive port but I don't carry that with me on trips. Perhaps I should. Another thing to carry...

I actually started kayak fishing with a Revo before I had a paddle kayak. And I had contemplated using the Revo in small water without the drive prior to getting a paddle boat. But the above issues made me decide to buy a paddle boat too. Now I have two paddle fishing kayaks in addition to my Revo. That works well for me.

There's no perfect kayak.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good Points, Mark...I predominately cast to structure whether it is fishing for Specks and reds or White Perch...with the DNR screwing up Striped Bass fishing, they are off my list...no way I will be able to fish for other species using lures without a by-catch of stripers so not much trolling is in my future. That said, my 2016 Outback is well suited for any fishing that I do. I have the classic GT Mirage Drive, not the 180 drive and the twist and stow sailing rudder. You are 100% correct that there is no “perfect” kayak...but my Outback is as good as there is for the fishing I do...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          There's no perfect kayak.
          Probably the best piece of advice there.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I agree on what everyone has said. I started off with a Tarpon T120 Anglers Edition. It was on of my favorite boats that took me on many fishing adventures. I then too upgraded to a Hobie Revo 13, and yes, I did convert it at times to just a paddle yak. Now I am at my third kayak, an Outback, similar to Ron's. I love my outback as my go to fishing machine, but I still miss my Tarpon from time to time. As it was said in this thread, your kayak will be dictated for the most by your style and purpose for kayak fishing. In my case, the pedal kayaks, Hobie, Native, etc, are the best option for me. Why? Because I not only fish, but run a trotline for catching crabs from my kayak. I also fish many tidal waters. I rarely fish ponds from a kayak, mostly, because I did not know which ponds to try, and most of the people that I fish with fish tidal waters and the bay. So it all depends on your requirements. For me, it is crabs, tidal, and occasional ponds and lakes.
            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
            2016 Hobie Outback LE
            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Thank you Mark for helping out the novice that I am when it comes to public fishing forums. This is an excellent thread and I look forward to gaining some other helpful hints and tips in the sport.

As for my preferred style of fishing, I mainly fish slow moving tidal rivers and ponds, similar to Mark. However, I do wish I had the ability to cover water more quickly as well as the ability to feather the pedals to stay stationary when casting to structure. In high winds, it can be a nuisance when random gusts of wind come through and alter the course of my drift when fishing out of a paddle kayak. With a pedal kayak, I'm sure that you do not have that issue. When I do upgrade to a pedal kayak however, I do plan on keeping my paddle kayak so that I have my options open, and it seems that some of you do the same.

Thank you everyone for all of your helpful replies and I hope to meet you all out on the water.
              Tim M. Elliott
              Pasadena
              Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

You hit it on the nail. Due to different conditions and desires. Many of up end up with two kayaks. A peddle, or electric kayak and a paddle kayak. I kept my Tarpon for a very long time before I sold it. But when I saw that it was not being used and just taking up room in my garage. I decided to find it a new home. But if I get another kayak, it maybe a bigger paddle kayak, since I am happy with my Outback.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Yes ........ all of the above ........ great observations. And then you can add engines into the mix. I have a paddle and a pedal both with engines that will go thru the grass and most spatterdock etc.

Comment

Here are a few more reasons to choose one over the other -- some may have already been touched on:

1) weight -- most of the pedal kayaks are heavier
                    2) how and where you like to fish
                    3) whether you have a medical/physical limitation to either paddling or pedaling
                    4) cost -- pedal kayaks are usually much more costly
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                    X