Hot off the press No Kayaking period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot off the press No Kayaking period.

Chesapeake Paddlers just sent my wife a message from DNR saying paddling is considered recreational boating. I tried to add it to my post but I am mostly computer illiterate.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

To me, it is safer than them allowing all these people to go and hang out in parks. It's safer than riding a bike on the road, less chance of becoming roadkill.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
      Chesapeake Paddlers just sent my wife a message from DNR saying paddling is considered recreational boating.
      I'm not saying it isn't written in an order somewhere, but I haven't been able to find where it explicitly states that recreational boating is banned. Every time Ive heard of fishing or kayaking being banned, its from a second hand source who heard it somewhere else.

The actual order has no mention of the word boat, and mentions exercise such as (but not exclusive to) walking, hiking, running, or biking so long as you adhere to section III which states, "Social, community, spiritual, religious, recreational, leisure, and sporting gatherings and events (“large gatherings and events”) of more than 10 people are hereby prohibited at all locations and venues, including but not limited to parades, festivals, conventions, and fundraisers."

I fail to see where kayaking alone or with a family member you are currently sheltering with, would not be considered exercise. That being said, if you had your fishing gear on you, it'd be hard to convince an officer that it was considered essential. On another note, if Im kayak fishing for food (vs sport), wouldn't it fall under the "Obtaining necessary supplies or services for one’s self, family, household members, pets, or livestock, including, without limitation: groceries, supplies for household consumption or use" exemption?I for one would rather catch my own than crowding myself into a supermarket to grab a few frozen catfish filets.
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

The DNR Website published a FAQ today that says Kayaking is permitted since it is a form of exercise? Below is the excerpt from the site and link is below.

"Does kayaking or paddle boarding count as recreational boating?

Since kayaking and paddle boarding are a form of exercise, they are permitted under the executive order. Guidance on social distancing and the prohibition on social gatherings must be strictly followed."

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/0...oK1MkMsgNGPmqU

I read all the rumors as well but that is what I will go by since it was posted on the DNR Website by a government official.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

mi327, thank you for finding someplace where it was written down on a government website.

If you're heading out, I would bring a printed copy of that page with you.
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

This afternoon's new article on the DNR website clarifies that Kayaking is allowed as a form of exercise, but fishing is allowed only for harvesting food. It sounds like catch and release fishing is not permitted. Here is a link to the article.

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2020/0...KzYyJ65esOcMv8
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I don't think that this is a time to look for nuances in guidance. Fishing is certainly going to wait in my household. Less unnecessary travel, less outside contact, less chance of transmission, more chance of flattening the curve which is beneficial to all. Seems like an easier choice for some than others.

Good luck to all. We will get through this.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I work at Home Depot and have to try to keep the customers there practicing "social distancing" on a daily basis, which most just don't seem to get. I have never had to disinfect myself and the equipment people touch in my life. I stand more of a chance getting exposed to covid-19 there then loading and unloading my kayak by myself & fishing out on the water a good distance from anyone else. This is not an air borne virus unless someone is close to you and coughs or sneezes on you. I've had to cancel my fishing vacation to Virginia Beach at the end of the month so if I am allow to fish for food then I will. I really don't think the dnr police are going to hassle anyone with a kayak and a rod/paddle in hand on the water. Otherwise I am practicing the stay at home order and continue my daily work life.

Comment

My experience Wednesday with DNR was basically, as long as you articulate you are fishing sustenance, you are good to go. I stayed honest, said I was fishing for shad. He said well, you can't keep those, so it would behoove you tonfish elsewhere, because we have to station here. I could have easy said I was targeting bluegill, perch and cats. Not really into fibbing though. Others may feel differently. Coming from a LE background myself, I'm sure the last thing they want to do is cite or lock someone up for fishing. Told him I was exercising my shoulders, and that there are less people on the water, than there is at my house...which is effectively more social distancing than staying home. We chatted and parted ways. I'm still going fishing. Need some snakeheads and cats for sustenance.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Stand Up Paddle Board
                  Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
                  X