Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and Riot Mako 10 Review

Greeting folks,

I wanted to take a moment to: One, say thanks to all on this forum. A couple of years ago a friend was in his Hobie and handed me a fishing rod while we were paddling around Jane’s Island. I was in a little sit-inside Pelican and we spent the day weaving our way through that area and had a blast. I was hooked, and the rest they say is history. As I tried to figure all of this out, this forum has been an excellent resource. Two, as an act to repay some of the useful information I found I wanted to share my thoughts on a kayak, and some things I learned in general.

Currently, I’m hitting the water in a 2018 Camo Outback that I picked up from DPS on consignment back on 2/1/20. That’s not the one I’m reviewing. That is easy enough to find on the internet. The first fishing yak I bought was a Riot Mako 10. So, I wanted to share my thoughts on that. I know when I first bought it there was not a whole lot that was easy to find about it. I’ll try and do this as concisely as possible.

20190818_125111.jpg

Basic specs:
    • 10’4” long. 36” wide
    • 50.7 lbs w/o seat and drive, 58.2 with.
    • Max capacity 470 lbs

Pro’s
    • Light weight: At 50ish pounds I was able to get this up on one shoulder and car top without trouble.
    • Cost: Got a great deal on mine as a demo from Shanksmare Outfitters in PA for just over $600. It is hard to get into a peddle kayak at that price point.
    • Durable drive: All plastic internals are easy to clean and has held up great
    • Instant reverse: I don’t think switching into reverse in a Hobie is that challenging but I do know it is a factor for some.
    • Plenty of gear tracks, storage hatches and rod holders: They’re all over the place on this thing. Hatches are easily accessible and useful.
    • Stable: Tons of outings in different conditions. Intentionally fell out to make sure I could get back in, Accidentally fell out only once trying to… uh... go to the little fisherman’s room.
    • Comfortable seat
    • Bow design: It is well rockered and I felt confident in some decent chop and dealing with big wakes.

Con’s
    • Rudder design: The turning radius isn’t great. It is not awful. But going from the Hobie with the sailing rudder to this thing is like going from a sports car to a big truck. The rudder cables are stainless steel and stretched out a bit. I swapped them for some spectra line and it is markedly better. But I had to do that pretty early on.
    • Rear tank well doesn’t hold a milk crate straight up: I bought the Plano V-Crate. I like the design of the tackle trays being accessible from the sides. Obviously it is a higher cost than a milk crate, but I like it and the footprint was small enough to fit in the rear tank well without being at an angle.
    • Availability: Shanksmare was literally the only dealer I could find within a reasonable distance. You can get it online, but I’d rather shop where I can sit in it and talk to someone about it.
    • A little slow: It is a 10’ boat, the hull between the bow and the stern is dang near flat. It got me where I needed to go, but it is built to keep itself upright.
    • Would not be a great boat for a taller person: I’m 5’8” and was comfortable. I think up to 6’1” you’d be fine. Anyone else might feel cramped.
    • Interaction with Riot can be challenging sometimes: I had a couple of interactions. When the rudder cables developed slack they sent new cables, free, right away. Another interaction, not the same experience with communication. The dealer I bought it from has been terrific at every turn though.

Complaints I’ve heard/had:
    • Drive hard to put in and pull out: The very first time it was a little odd. Now it takes me no time at all.
    • Drive can squeak: I’ve discovered it is not the drive. It is the peddle where it connects to the crank. You have to clean that out and get some lube in there. Once a season seems to be just fine.

Overall:
    Is this anything like a Hobie? Oh god no. Did I have fun and catch fish in it? 100%. Since buying the Outback I’ve been out a few times on it, plus trying a friends a few times so I feel like I have a good frame of reference when looking at these two side by side. The Hobie is faster, more maneuverable, and much more rugged. There is clearly less material in the Riot at that weight. But the Mako 10 never had any issues regarding durability and it took a tumble once when a set of Yakima Jayhooks sheared in half and it came off of our vehicle (more on that in “things I learned”). It held me, all of my gear, and everything I needed to have fun on the water. At the cost I paid for it I’d say it was worth it. I still have it and use it as a 2nd boat to introduce other people to the hobby the same way I was. Overall, I don’t know that I would go for it at full retail. But, if you found a good deal on one, it is a great boat for that price. As everyone here recommends, and I do too, make sure you go out and try a boat out before buying it. It is the only way to be sure you'll be comfortable.

Things I’ve learned:
    Jayhooks and wide boats don’t mix. I’ve used Yakima products since 2001. I carry mountain bikes, cargo baskets, snowboards, and anything else you can imagine. I'm overly cautions and have never had anything they make fail on me. Even after what happened I know they make great products. Last year we had my wife's paddle board strapped to the cross bars, and the Mako in the Jayhooks next to it. Ten minutes into our drive the brackets that hold the Jayhooks to the crossbars sheared in half. You can actually see where the plastic basically ripped. I’m overly cautious and always have bow and stern lines no matter how far I am going so the boat basically slid down the side of the car giving my wifes suv a couple of dimples. We’re working with Yakima to address the damage and I’d love to say that is a speedy process, but it would be a lie. They are being helpful though. From that point on we got the widest crossbars we could and strap her board and my kayak down to the crossbars, flat, side by side now. No issues. Honestly, I think it is the distribution of weight in wider kayaks that is the bigger issue for the Jayhook. At 50 pounds that kayak is under the 80 pound weight rating for those mounts. I think there is little chance Yakima can keep up with every single boat that is made to determine if it will work in every system they have. So, when transporting, please use my life lesson to save yourself a headache. To that end I recently bought a truck and a bed extender, so life is markedly easier now. Other things I’ve learned: I’ve caught different species all over the state on all kinds of different lures. The one lure I’ve caught at least one of each on: a ¼ oz beetle spin with a 3” curly tail grub in chartreuse. If I could only have two baits it would be that and a Z-man Texas Eye Jig with a paddle tail. Having said that, the other thing I’ve learned is that I like taking a bunch of different lures to tinker with. It is fun to try new things and see what works, and if the bite sucks I can occupy myself.

Again, thanks to everyone. You may not know it, but you have likely answered one of my questions as I searched this forum. I hope the above, while maybe not useful right this moment, is useful to someone in the future.
    Christian

2018 Camo Outback
    Pau Hana 12' Endurance XL SUP
    Riot Mako 10

"I have no idea what I am doing, but this is fun"

Thanks for the detailed review. Welcome to Snaggedline.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice review and well written. I enjoyed reading it and welcome to the forum.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Excellent review, honest, forthright and entertaining...welcome, hope to hear more from you.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Christian,

Yesterday I said that I hope we hear more from you in reply to your first post on the forum.

Well, you outdid yourself.

Excellent review!

Many thanks,
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome aboard and thanks for a great review. I have a Vibe that is about 10 feet so I know how they handle. Being light has its advantages especially when you only have a couple of hours and don't want to deal with the heavy scow.
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Very nice review.

Im in agreement on the Yakima jayhooks. Even though they are touted as an across the board solution, I feel the were R&D'ed for those little whitewater kayaks. Otherwise, I've never had an issue with yakima products.
              "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
              X