NRS Chinook PFD - newer versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRS Chinook PFD - newer versions

I have been using an NRS Chinook PFD for quite a few years. I am on my second one now, and it is showing wear. NRS no longer makes that version of Chinook. They have a newer version (still called the Chinook) that has a different pocket layout and a few other differences. They also make an open water version called the Chinook OS. Have any Snaggedline members tried either of the newer versions? If so please let us know what you think.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

John, I too was a long time Chinook user and recently felt it was time to replace my old one. I looked at the new models and really didn't like the pocket layout. I tried to find an older model but what I found I didn't like the last color available. So I switched to a new Kokatek Leviathan, pockets galore and I like the fit.

Comment

I have a 2019 model Chinook - I think these are the "new" ones. I've never used one of the older ones so I don't have anything to compare it to but I like it. I tend not to keep much gear in my vest, usually just a whistle and my cell phone, so the pocket layout doesn't bother me much. The PFD is very comfortable though, I often forget I'm wearing it. The mesh back goes up high enough to not interfere with the frame seat on my Native. I have the Bayberry color which I think just looks cool. My only complaint is that the loose ends of the shoulder straps are supposed to tuck into pockets on the front of the PFD, as shown in the product page, but I have found these pockets to be too shallow and the straps don't want to stay tucked, so I usually just tuck them in between the PFD and my body.
      Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
      2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Originally posted by dsaavedra View Post
        I have a 2019 model Chinook - I think these are the "new" ones. I've never used one of the older ones so I don't have anything to compare it to but I like it. I tend not to keep much gear in my vest, usually just a whistle and my cell phone, so the pocket layout doesn't bother me much. The PFD is very comfortable though, I often forget I'm wearing it. The mesh back goes up high enough to not interfere with the frame seat on my Native. I have the Bayberry color which I think just looks cool. My only complaint is that the loose ends of the shoulder straps are supposed to tuck into pockets on the front of the PFD, as shown in the product page, but I have found these pockets to be too shallow and the straps don't want to stay tucked, so I usually just tuck them in between the PFD and my body.
        I have this one as well. I tried on an older model and new model at the shop and I thoroughly get the newer ne is more comfortable. The pocket lay out is fine, I’m not in love with it. I pretty much only put my phone keys and wallet in there. I would probably keep more in my vest if the Velcro pockets were deeper. The straps definitely don’t fit into the pockets as dsaavedra said. The materials are definitely high quality and it’s not overly hot in the middle of summer.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I think I will wait until we are on the other end of the stay-at-home cycle and visit one or more shops to actually try one on.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have one of the newer models. My first fishing life preserver so keep that in mind. One thing I like is the best pockets are big enough to fit my pixel XL. It's one of the bigger smart phones out there so doesn't always fit in stuff.

Otherwise, to be honest I'm still working on streamlining and not carrying so much with me so some of the pockets stay empty. It's comfortable, I don't get too hot in the summer even though it never comes off. Felt equally as comfortable over top of waders for what that matters.
            -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
              I have one of the newer models. My first fishing life preserver so keep that in mind. One thing I like is the best pockets are big enough to fit my pixel XL. It's one of the bigger smart phones out there so doesn't always fit in stuff.
              I purchased the older NRS Chinook model this past winter due to the online closeout sale, paying $70. I couldn't pass that up. However, from watching YouTube videos on the newer model, I think that the new pocket layout is more efficient. I like where the location of the plier holder is compared to the older model. It is out of the way where before it was located directly next to the zipper. I believe that the pockets on the new model have the ability to open up like a shelf, which is one feature that I wish was on the older model. The pockets seem to be less bulky as well compared to the older model.
              Tim M. Elliott
              Pasadena
              Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

Seventy bucks was a good closeout price on the old-style Chinook. It's an excellent PFD from a good company. No doubt the quality of the new ones remains up to NRS standards.

I've had my NRS Chinook for maybe 4 years and it has held up well. I'm not in the market for a new one yet. But I will look at the new Chinook when that time comes.

PFD pockets aren't that important to me because I don't use them much. I do carry a waterproof camera in one pocket. My Chinook has a lanyard in that pocket which I attach my camera to. That's a nice feature. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have lost my camera overboard by now. I put my cellphone in another pocket and I rarely access it, which probably explains why that has not gone overboard thus far. (Cross my fingers.)

For me comfort is the most important attribute of a PFD (next to flotation) since I wear it all times when I'm in my kayak. If the new model is as comfortable as the old or more so, I will definitely lean toward a Chinook.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                X