The prodigal returns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The prodigal returns!

Hey fellow snaggedliners! I regrettably have fallen away from the site since I got a new job which makes fishing much more difficult schedule-wise (AND we are essential and have gotten much more hectic since the COVID invasion!). I have next Monday off, and my father who has been laid off due to COVID suggested that fishing from the bank is allowable due to it being sustenance. We were hopping to try for some Snakehead in a certain National Wildlife Refuge, but I don't know what's happening down there and if it's worth the two hour drive. Not asking for specifics or anything, but if anyone knows the snakehead action outlook right now I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks, everyone, and stay healthy.
    Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Snakeheading was super slow today in Dorchester County. Didn't fish the Refuge but fished nearby. Day's total included 1 snakehead in the boat, 2 snakeheads that came off during the fight, and a handfull of missed strikes - in 7 hours of fishing. All the other anglers on the water I talked to had a similar story... extremely slow day. It seemed they weren't moving to chase baits at all and you had to put the bait right on top of them for them to bite. But I heard last weekend was on fire. It seems to me that this time of year the snakehead are very much influenced by the weather - a few warm sunny days will get them going in the shallow Eastern Shore rivers, but likewise a few cloudy chilly days (and a bit of rain) can shut them down just as quick.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

I went during that warm spell in the end of Feb/beginning of March. We caught 1 from 5 am to 6pm. There was a total of 6 caught among the 50 or so people that came and went on the bridge. All caught on minnows and no large ones. Also, the stomach on ours was empty. It’s still early for them.

Comment

Originally posted by admwndsr83 View Post
        We were hopping to try for some Snakehead in a certain National Wildlife Refuge, but I don't know what's happening down there and if it's worth the two hour drive. Not asking for specifics or anything, but if anyone knows the snakehead action outlook right now I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks, everyone, and stay healthy.
        I don't have a first hand account but from what I've heard, its elbow to elbow on the bridges on nice days.
        "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
        Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Follow-up report

Thanks, folks, for the insight. I took my dad, who has been to Blackwater many years ago but never seen a live snakehead, down on Monday. There were a total of 5 people on the bridge, each about 30 yds apart. Watched one fellow catch a small white perch, and I had one heavy hit, but other than that no action. We then moved to a few ditches and streams around off the roads. Had one beautiful blow-up when my sight-casting was a little too on-spot and I spooked a decent snake. One of the streams had a ton of fish along the shores breaking the surface and sich, but could find nothing interested in my minnows.

Also worth noting is that we tried to stop at 4 different tackle shops between Harford County and Blackwater, and they are all closed. Woolford is open for carside service only and has no minnows. Anyone looking to head that direction soon, PM me and I can offer a suggestion of a gentleman who may have minnows for sale.
          Adam

Comment

I'm really hoping that a few warm days and we won't need minnows. The chatterbait/top water/Mepps bite should pick up soon enough. That's when snakehead become sportsfish.
            Native Titan Propel 12
            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
            Mercury 6hp
            Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
            Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by CHOC View Post
              I'm really hoping that a few warm days and we won't need minnows. The chatterbait/top water/Mepps bite should pick up soon enough. That's when snakehead become sportsfish.
              Amen to that crazy horse!
              Adam

Comment

Working...
              X