Snakehead tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead tactics

Okay so I’ve struck out twice on my first two attempts at targeting snakehead. I’m almost certain I’m targeting them in too shallow of water. What depth this time of year should I be looking? Should I be working shore line and drop offs? I’m using paddle tails and chatter baits.

I'd fish for them anywhere from right at the water's edge out to a couple feet of depth. Try and work cover like logs, lily pads (especially if there are any little open pockets in the pads), and similar ambush points. I'm not sure how much snakeheads relate to drop offs because I've always fished for them in shallow water. It sounds like you've got the right lures - if there's a decent snakehead population in the water you're fishing you should hook up sooner or later. If you wanted to try live bait, a minnow under a bobber is hard to beat. I think it's still a bit early in the year for them right now and the fishing is hit or miss, largely influenced by subtle increases in water temp from a few sunny days in a row.
    Dave

2021 Hobie Outback Camo
    2013 Native Slayer Hidden Oak

Comment

Should begin catching them at the end of April and into May.

Comment

Check out kambotrout on YouTube. I don't think he's a member on here? But he's relatively local and obsessed with snakehead (in a good way) I've learned a lot from his channel.
        -Justin

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
          Check out kambotrout on YouTube. I don't think he's a member on here? But he's relatively local and obsessed with snakehead (in a good way) I've learned a lot from his channel.
          I definitely echo this. I work with Kambotrout (Steve to me). He is OBSESSED with snakehead and knows his stuff inside and out. Last I talked to him, he said the bite is going to taper off as the fish start to spawn, which lasts usually around 3 weeks. Mid May should be super hot for sneks.

Comment

I scouted a spot today. Nothing by the shoreline. Lots of fish in the the heavy grass but couldn't get bit. Not sure what they were. I did manage to fool this green thing...
            20200408_162016.jpg
            20200408_162210.jpg
            Native Slayer 12
            Native Ultimate

Comment

Originally posted by gliebig View Post
              I scouted a spot today. Nothing by the shoreline. Lots of fish in the the heavy grass but couldn't get bit. Not sure what they were. I did manage to fool this green thing...
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26123[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26124[/ATTACH]
              Nice work. I'd be willing to bet some of those fish messing around in the grass might have been carp. They do a lot of jumping and splashing around when they spawn, but generally do not eat very much.

Comment

Working...
              X