I love(d) this page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love(d) this page

What has happened to it? The tackle page was bustling not long ago, as were the regional pages. Would anyone be opposed to adding a Facebook page to direct people to this page? I'm suggesting simply a marketing page that tells people about this page and provides them with a link to find it.

Personally, a complete move to facebook would be my solution, but I know some of the long time members have no interest in that and I would never want to lose them.

We've got a great community, but it's slowly and surely dying. Needs some fresh blood.
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

It's not broke, why try to fix it. Sure, there aren't as many posts as there were, but it's hard to get fresh material to post from the living room sofa. I think what made snaggedline the friendly site it is was the way most people learned about it. A member goes fishing, sees another fishing from a yak and tells them to look it up. That keeps it kayakers talking with and about other kayakers. I'm afraid if it gets exposed to every Tom, Dick and Harry, that a lot of the undesirables that ruined other sites will swoop in and try to ruin this one. Hopefully, when this quarantine is lifted, all will return to normal.

Comment

Certainly the volume of posts is down, even before the quarantine, but I’m seeing that in some of the Facebook groups as well. Maryland Kayak Fishing Association rarely has trip reports and not much dialogue either. I’m not really sure where folks are active on boards, nor am I seeking them out. It’s also probably a reflection of how folks choose to communicate and things like a forum are antiquated in comparison. I’m not that bothered by it and never viewed this as a how many likes or responses kind of site. Hopefully once May 1 rolls around we’ll get more activity.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I don't know how far back you are considering "bustling". Short term, the answer is that fishing season is just getting started for everyone who doesn't own a dry suit, and obviously nobody is fishing under our current circumstances. I really haven't been on the forum for long enough make a call on the changes over the years.

For everyone on here that has met me in person, they know I am about as fresh/young blood as its going to get as far as Snaggedline goes haha. Coincidentally, I got my kayak exactly a year ago today, and still use it regularly. That being said, we also just got a new center console boat at the end of last season and I would be lying if I said it wasn't at the center of my attention right now. I feel it's circumstantial things like that that pull people away from the forum. I am full of stories from fishing from our boat, but those don't exactly belong on a kayak forum, so I don't post as much. But that's just my .2, I'll be curious to see what the long-time users have to say.

Lots of my fishing talk occurs with friends on group chats & other social media. It's a quick way for me to get some info or find someone to go out with me. Different from Snaggedine, but a similar principal more fit to my friends/age demographic.
        Last edited by CarsonNash; 04-22-2020, 03:59 PM.
        Annapolis
        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Personally I don’t use it very often anymore. Often I just check to see what’s been posted out of boredom.
          Lack of meet and greats, informative posts or invites to go fishing don’t have me participating much.
          I also get annoyed logging in only to see certain charters posting every outing from a boat and a select few people who post mile long articles both of which I just skip over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Please don’t ......... this board has a large amount of people signed up and we get along nicely. Don’t want it to get like Tidalfish.

Right now there are over 5000 members and 69 people logged in. I’m not sure how many more you want.

Comment

I do have to agree, being a member since 2013 I have seen a downward trend of posts and overall. But since then kayak fishing has changed A LOT. There are so many avenues for finding information today that forums don't get as much attention. Is it all bad...? I don't think so. Everyone here is really helpful and willing to share knowledge which is HUGE. I will say the biggest thing I miss is the monthly meet and greets. A chance to catch up for long time members as well as a helpful hand for new members to the group or new to that body of water. I unfortunately wasn't able to attend as many as I would like but everyone was a blast. That I would like to see come back. The booth set up at bass pro talking kayak fishing for new and old alike was also helpful for some. Those are what I miss. I will say I don't post as often as I use to but like im sure most of us life just happens. I would encourage all to try and post more. One I recommend is kayak reviews under dry dock. It really lets people know how one type of kayak might work for the types of water we fish locally. I will also try and post more invites as the season goes along. And as always if im out on the water and I see a fellow kayak fisherman I usually always ask if they know about snaggedline? Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy, hope to see y'all on the water!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
              Desert Camo- Moken 14
              Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I'm not gonna rock the boat. Just sad to watch it sink.
                Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
                Mercury 6hp
                Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Here lately, I try to let others post...not much new material for me to post about...we all go through a metamorphose of new to the sport, learning the kayak, outfitting their new boat, learning its capabilities and its short comings...using the kayak and reporting results...many get into YouTubing their exploits and the entire process of filming, editing and publishing the videos...us older, less-agile anglers not so much...for me it is a less stressful, more relaxed way of fishing that gives me pleasure on many levels...Shared after action reports on specific trips...but after a few thousand posts, figure you all have heard enough from me...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I also try to let others post as Ron said. I have been a Snaggedline member for at least 11 years. During a Snaggedline server issue, a few of our long time Snaggedline members (me included) had their accounts accidently corrupted so we had to recreate them. I use to have thousands of posts, but those posts were nullified when we re-created our accounts. With that being said, I have a noticed over the years, a decline in the number of post and participation. The recent state of affairs have not helped either, along with fishing season has not yet ramped up. I too use to love the monthly Meet and Greats, and I was one of the members who donated their time to the Bass Pro kayak fishing display. Meet and Greets can still be held (after COVID) for small groups. I know that during the last productive years of the Meet and Greets, there were questions of legal liabilities to those hosting the Meet and Greets, and I guess it stopped after several volunteer Snaggedline members tried to line up volunteers to host a Meet and Greet, but the participation was lack luster at best. I have fond memories of the Meet and Greets. I would like to see them back in some form. I have met many fishing friends through Snaggedline and the Meet and Greets. All the post on this thread are valid to the reason for the slow postings. Hopefully as things improve, and the fishing season gets started in earnest, then we will begin to see more post and sharing of information for new and seasoned kayak anglers.
                    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE
                    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I agree with most here, I don’t think advertising on Facebook is wise. While I’ve noticed a decrease in posting (myself included), I think we are noticing more now that we’re all stuck at home and not fishing. I would personally love to see meet and greets happen again as soon as we’re able. I would be happy to host one. One another note, my wife and I should be accepting delivery of Vibe’s newest kayak, the Shearwater 125, in the next couple weeks. I’ll make sure to post a review!
                      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I appreciate the forum and all who post. I discovered the group 5 years ago and it opened a new world of fishing to me. The community and meet and greets that existed back then were unique to me. I attended several and brought friends even though I was a 3-hour drive from these things. Guys like Ron, Mark, and John, who still post routinely, as well as MOC, Jeff, and a few others helped to open a new world of fishing for me and also provided a new view of what fishing community could be. I’m certain they actually don’t even know who I am, but they have had an impact.

I am jealous for the community that exists around Annapolis and Southern Maryland not finding anything like that in my area of central PA. I’ve made the drive to Annapolis many times in the fall and spring over the last five years. Even when meet and greets didn’t exist, there was always at least a small sense of being part of that community and a radio provided a degree of connection to whoever was out there in addition to those seen at the launch. I’ve introduced several friends to the pleasures I’ve found there now.

I’m not sure whether any of that fits with this thread, but I echo the desire for meet and greets and encourage continued efforts to maintain and expand community in large and small groups. What you have is pretty special, at least as I understand it. My inability to visit the bay or the eastern shore this spring is a real loss to me.
                        Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
                        2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Comment

I'm on both, I admit I post on facebook way more than I do here mainly because I am on groups proprietary to products I own. What I own and use isn't so proprietary on here so I've learned there's not that much for me to talk about in that regard here without debate. I still enjoy coming here everyday and catching up and occasionally I will post a thought or two. Though I really did liked the Meet n Greets in concept, I couldn't participate in hardly any of them since they were weekend events and I work virtually every weekend but the couple I was able to attend I had a blast. Then with the tides of change, not only on current happenings, but weather related events that have effected the Bay over the last couple of years personally I haven't had much in the way of fishing to interject on here. So with that I have become more of a lurker then a participant mainly having not much to say.

Comment

I stopped posting local reports several years ago, but still try to occasionally post travel reports. When I joined this site in 2008 I was brand new to the area and saltwater fishing from a kayak. It seemed like everyone was and so there was so much to share on techniques, launches, rigging and diy projects. Now there is an accessory for every need, a kayak brand or style for every niche, and forums/books/magazines/etc that have been written that provide ample information. So I am at a point where I monitor, chip in if there are questions, and try to find new ways to enjoy the sport. Lately, I have been focusing on introducing new people to kayak fishing and have been helping to rig, advise, and guide into some productive waters. It has been enjoyable to me and reminds me of the old days of how this place used to be.

I’m going to try to express a frustration here that I hope doesn’t come off wrong. One of the things that has turned me away from sharing more in recent years is the waves of new anglers that have joined the sport, bought a bunch of gear and are now all of a sudden experts. This site and sport were built on people exploring, trying new things, and sharing what was working. These new experts often want to be spoon fed spots, tactics, etc and then will go off and tell the world like it’s easy. That’s led a number of people to stop sharing as much information.

I had a recent outing where I ran into a Snaggedliner that I thought I knew and have been friendly with at the shows. I was taking a new kayaker out for his second snakehead kayak trip (I also took him on his first but this was to test out his new HOBIE!!! many of you know how happy of a day that is) and when I said hello to him and asked how it was going it was like we had never met or that I was trespassing on his spot. It used to be if you saw a Snaggedline sticker you would instantly begin chatting and sharing and if you didn’t, you would introduce the person to the group. Now it feels like somehow we are competing and I don’t belong? That’s not the Snaggedline way. It made it hard for me to tell my buddy how great this community is and why he should join...

I’m not well known to the new people and that’s my fault. I have, however, given countless hours to meet and greets, clothing sales, starting and running the CBKA tournaments, moderating this forum, posting how to’s, organizing extended trips, etc. I would like to see this place return to some of the same vibe it was known for. For me that means figuring out new ways to contribute and share information. So what’s missing? Trip reports? How to’s? Meet and greets?
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Well said, Michael. I agree with your points. It seems from what I am reading from these posts that I am hearing is that folks liked the Meet and Greets for sure.
                              MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                              2016 Hobie Outback LE
                              Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                              X