ISO: Mothership Charter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: Mothership Charter

Can anyone recommend a mothership charter on the western shore?
    Is that still a thing?
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I would contact both Brady Bounds and Lee Tippett (Fin Finder II). Captain Brady had a yak set up a few years ago. Please update us on your search.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

I think Brad Foxwell is doing them now too.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Brad Foxwell

Comment

Thanks.
          Brad Foxwell posts his price on the Chesapeake Fishing Adventures FB page.
          I'll have to call Captain Brady. But I imagine they are both pretty busy right now with trophy season under way.

Comment

The guides mentioned are all excellent choices and they will certainly put you on fish. It is worth a shot to give each one a call, and I'm sure one or another will be able to take you out relatively soon.
            Tim M. Elliott
            Pasadena
            Pelican Boost Angler 100, Garmin Striker 4

Comment

Good luck in finding a guide to take you on a mothership trip. Based on one unpleasant experience in 2014, I recommend that you talk to the captain in advance to get a sense of his/her experience with transporting kayaks on the mothership. Ask questions like:

- Who loads and straps the kayaks down on the mothership?
              - Does the mothership have racks or cradles to secure the kayaks?
              - How many times has the captain done this before?
              - Will I leave and return to the mothership in shallow water, or will it be in water over my head?
              - How will I climb back aboard the mothership (ladder, shallow water hop aboard, other)?
              - Will the mothership stay near you for the duration, or will they leave and return later?
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Good luck in finding a guide to take you on a mothership trip. Based on one unpleasant experience in 2014, I recommend that you talk to the captain in advance to get a sense of his/her experience with transporting kayaks on the mothership. Ask questions like:

- Who loads and straps the kayaks down on the mothership?
                - Does the mothership have racks or cradles to secure the kayaks?
                - How many times has the captain done this before?
                - Will I leave and return to the mothership in shallow water, or will it be in water over my head?
                - How will I climb back aboard the mothership (ladder, shallow water hop aboard, other)?
                - Will the mothership stay near you for the duration, or will they leave and return later?
                From the looks of it, you must have had a really bad experience John.
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                  From the looks of it, you must have had a really bad experience John.

Without naming names or locations, the captain dropped us off and planned to pick us up in a few hours. The weather got bad quickly, and the original pickup plan had to be scratched. Having to load 4 kayaks in water over our heads then pulling ourselves over the gunwales (not easy for me with my weak legs) while in rough water was not part of the plan. One of our group lost an expensive piece of equipment from his kayak. Other than that, there was no harm done other than lots of adrenaline getting produced and maybe some soiled underwear.

I should add that my experience did not involve any of the captains mentioned above.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I was with John on the trip he mentioned.

We were fishing in a location near barrier islands. The captain dropped us off on an island. All was well with that. However, wind kicked up up during our outing and a much lower tide precluded him from retrieving us at the drop off spot. We had to load offshore of the island which truly was difficult. During that process one of our Hobie users, rolled his boat, an Outback, and lost his Mirage Drive in the process. We searched as best we could but it disappeared completely into the grassy bottom. That was really unfortunate.

Here's a photo of John, his boat and my then Revo at our drop off point.

P1000747.jpg

I remember feeling like I had just been left on the moon as the mother-ship motored away.

I believe it was the captain's first and possibly last venture at mother-shipping. It was indeed mine.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Brad Foxwell does them, he posts them on FB from time to time. I was signed up for one late last season but it got scrapped due to no interest. If people on here were to want to do one I would definitely be in.

Comment

I'm completely new to this type of charter-assume you use your own kayak? Or does the mothership charter include them as well? Either way If a trip gets organized on here I'd likely be in with enough forward notice to plan for a trip
                        -Justin

Comment

Brad Foxwells was bring your own yak

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
                            I'm completely new to this type of charter-assume you use your own kayak? Or does the mothership charter include them as well? Either way If a trip gets organized on here I'd likely be in with enough forward notice to plan for a trip
                            Most I’ve seen, you bring your own yak and rods keeping the gear to a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just out of curiosity, where and what do you want to fish for that you'd want a mothership?
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X